Sleeper Gold Head Goby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tito2491

Aquarium Advice Freak
I Bought a Sleeper Gold Head Goby about 2 weeks ago and it hardly ever comes out of hiding , Is this how this species is ? or is mine just 2 shy?

Attachments

• l_101_lg.gif
    l_101_lg.gif
    8.1 KB · Views: 1,469
  • l_101_lg.gif
    l_101_lg.gif
    8.1 KB · Views: 141
Sleeper Goby is my favorite fish :) Mine is very skitish. When I first got him he never came out from under my rocks, now he comes out more often. Just wait :) He'll be out!

Goby

Do they eat food from the sand they sift or do they need 2 be fed ? mine hides when he see's any one approach the tank

Attachments

• goldenheadsleeperwbgo1_u44.jpg
    goldenheadsleeperwbgo1_u44.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 369
I've seen mine eat brine shrimp once. I eats from the sand. Mine was the same way, the second he spotted anyone approaching he'd dart to his cave. Now he is a little more lax, but if i open up the lid to feed he usually hides. He keeps my sand very clean though!!

There is a little piece on my sand bed that looks as if it has rust , will my sleeper head reduce that?

Attachments

• goldenheadsleeperwbgo1_u44_144.jpg
    goldenheadsleeperwbgo1_u44_144.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 338
Im pretty sure i know what your talking about....and yes.... When i first introduced my goby the sand bed was covered with brown algae, now there's hardly any.

My gold-headed sleeper is actually the first one out and the last one in at night usually. At first mine would only sift from the sandbed, and yes this really helped with turning over the sand and keeping it "pristine".

At first mine would not eat the shrimp I feed the other inhabitants, but after his buddy the red-lipped blenny began eating it so did he. Now he will even go after the Marine Snow I add for the filter feeders.

My friend also has one that hides most of the time and has been in his tank longer then mine has been in mine, so I guess it is a 50/50 chance whether or not they will be sociable. His also has trouble eating the shrimp he feeds because the powerhead moves it around to much, thus he turns off the PH during feedings and everyone gets food and is happy.

Hope that helps!

I like to get a pair of gobys as well, but my SB does not have algae nor enough pods. Since they swim slow and low in the tank, they can't compete food from my YT and flame angel. Any suggests?

I just bought a goldenhead sleeper goby to help with keeping the sand clean. Put him in the tank 1/2 hour ago and he is causing a tornado of sand! Is that normal? Will he calm down? He is like a dog burying a bone.. sand is flying everywhere. You can't see in the tank right now. Yikes!

DJ

(P.S. - how big do they get? The Conscientious Marine Aquarist says as big as 6 inces?)

But did it stir up the sand so violently? Our tank is a big cloudy mess. I am hoping it is not going to be this way forever.

DJ

my powerhead seems to do the job when feeding time comes along.. it quickly disperses the food and everyone gets to eat.. my fast food fish r my blue, yellow and purple tangs..but the powerhead pushes the food everywhere and my goby and clowns (the slowpokes of the tank) get more than they can chow down.. if u have a powerhead..i suggest u place it in a place where, when u drop the food in the tank it pushes the food around, in your case maybe place is facing slightly down..? IMO anyway..!

We are considering returning this goby (if the LFS will take it back - I don't even know if they do that). Our tank is so cloudy you can't see in it since we added him yesterday.

Can someone with experience with a sand sifting goby please tell me if this will always be the case? I never saw anyone mention this when discussing this fish, nor did I see it described in the Conscietious Marine Aquarist book. Maybe the issue is the combination of our Sleeper Gold Head Goby and our substrate (sand). Maybe he "works" better in a tank with a substrate not so fine?

DJ

here is a rare pic cause my midas and my golden head hate eachother they bite eachother but they just stay away from one another the midas lives in the top of live rock and golden lives undernieth it lol

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/atta...343866_0_f29ddd04b781ee5939443bcc58359ddb.jpg

img_343866_0_f29ddd04b781ee5939443bcc58359ddb.jpg

img_343866_0_f29ddd04b781ee5939443bcc58359ddb.jpg

no not at all maybee something to do with what kind of sand u have in your tank

Back
Top Bottom