Slicone safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keithhjs

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've heard I can use silicone in my sump and its safe as long as it has no mildew inhibitors in it. My question is all the silicone that I look at that is 100% silicone with no mildew prevention says on the back not for aquariums. Anyone know what I can use?

Did u look at petco. I know they sell sime there. There is also some at homedepot just not sure the name of tbe brand.

You can use the 100% silicone The "Not for aquariums" apply's to the glue you cant use it to build your own tank but for baffles it's ok just be sure to let it cure for 2-3 days you want no smell

Had a catastrophe with the GE silicone, use the All Glass brand specifically for aquariums. Not worth the risk of using anything outside the marine industry from my experience.

never had a problem with it, a lot of people here recommended it to me and it's always done well

Had a catastrophe with the GE silicone, use the All Glass brand specifically for aquariums. Not worth the risk of using anything outside the marine industry from my experience.

What kind of catastrophe?

I researched what kind of silicone was aquarium safe and used the GE brand for baffles in my sump. Within 30 min of installing my new sump all of my corals started melting and turning to sludge. It really sucked cause I re plumed everything to fit the new sump and lost a bunch of corals I had for a lot of years. It was a rookie mistake but all I'm saying is that it is easy to purchase the wrong kind and is safer to spend a bit more to buy aquarium grade stuff. IMO

PMMmalcolmI researched what kind of silicone was aquarium safe and used the GE brand for baffles in my sump. Within 30 min of installing my new sump all of my corals started melting and turning to sludge. It really sucked cause I re plumed everything to fit the new sump and lost a bunch of corals I had for a lot of years. It was a rookie mistake but all I'm saying is that it is easy to purchase the wrong kind and is safer to spend a bit more to buy aquarium grade stuff. IMO
I researched what kind of silicone was aquarium safe and used the GE brand for baffles in my sump. Within 30 min of installing my new sump all of my corals started melting and turning to sludge. It really sucked cause I re plumed everything to fit the new sump and lost a bunch of corals I had for a lot of years. It was a rookie mistake but all I'm saying is that it is easy to purchase the wrong kind and is safer to spend a bit more to buy aquarium grade stuff.
Do you know which GE brand you bought? If you still have it get the barcode & posted it for other what not to use.

The one I pickrd up is:

GE "1" 100% Silicone Clear Permanently Waterproof.
Window/Door/Attic/Basement Barcode 77027 00012

Im doing a project on freshwater refugium and that is what I have used. Now, I'm not saying to use it as I havent run this through the tank yet but did look it up and that is what I came to buy. If you are set on buying the one at your LFS, you are set. Maybe other could write if what I have is the right one or not. Good luck!

That sucks! I buy the tube of marineland built a 20 long and resealed a 75. Buy the small tube and you will have plenty and no worries.

GE #1 works wonders and is what many tank manufacturers use in building their aquariums. Make sure to stay away from the bath and window version that is mildew resistant. Color doesn't matter and is fine to use whichever you'd like.

Back
Top Bottom