Slime algea in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chrisc0930

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi! I recently finished treating my tank with kick ich, as a result I ended up with this slimy green algae that has all but taken over my tank. At first I thought it was pretty cool lookin, didn't seem to bother anything but now I have a gorgonian and it seems to be taking it over, I haven't seen it bloom in weeks! I clean the gorgonian daily and the algae just takes it over again the next. I have scraped it off my rocks and done two water changes, even added a few hermit crabs and i can't sem to get rid of it. I have added two photos one of my entire tank and the other focusing on my gorgonian just so you can get a general idea of what I'm talking about. Keep in mind I just cleaned off the gorgonian yesterday. Anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• image-3644255091.jpg
    image-3644255091.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 116
  • image-2921391913.jpg
    image-2921391913.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 118
PS. I finished the kick ich approximately two months ago

cut back on lighting lots of water changes , clean filter media often , charcoal , may need more water flow it's not close to a window by chance is it , what do your water stats look like
PH
Ammonia
nitrite
nitrate
ect

I use tooth brush prior to water changes on rock but I'm dealing with red slim think I finally have it under control
probably same steps for the green stuff

54seaweed said:
cut back on lighting lots of water changes , clean filter media often , charcoal , may need more water flow it's not close to a window by chance is it , what do your water stats look like
PH
Ammonia
nitrite
nitrate
ect

I use tooth brush prior to water changes on rock but I'm dealing with red slim think I finally have it under control
probably same steps for the green stuff

My levels are all good. Perfect according to the fish guy I go to. He is the one that recommended the hermit crabs but the algae seems to grow faster than they can eat it. I have two anemones in the tank I'm afraid the lack of lighting won't affect them?

what size tank is it
waterflow
is tank in direct sunlight kinda looks like it with glare on side of tank
how many crabs did you add usually 1 per gallon 1 or 2 just don't do the job
may want to add few turbo snails
if any of its hairy maybe even a lawn mower
don't trust a fish guy trust yourself doing them yourself its all about catching it before it starts
keep up the water changes

37 gal bow front (saltwater)
JBJ reaction 4 stage canister filter with built in uv sterilizer
external penguin bio filter with skimmer attachment
ETH 200 watt inline heater
2 power heads 500gph

30 gal (brackish)
bio filter
under-gravel 2 power-heads 250gph

30 gal hex (freshwater)
bio filter
under gravel 2 power heads 170gph

Who ever said keeping fish was easy should have there head examined
It's more like a full time job !!!!

Lower the amount of nutrients your putting in the tank, and your light duration to like 4 hours or so, and water change.

By nutrients, do you mean food? In the past two weeks I have fed twice. I'm not sure what other nutrients you could be referring to. I just did a water change a couple days ago, should I do another now? I'll turn off my light now.

You may have had some die off from the meds. That will increase the amount of organics in the water. I would be cautious about trying to control it with reducing lighting. That can have negative effects on many things. I would keep up the aggressive water changes and be sure you are using quality makeup water and salt. You will eventually dilute out the organics. You mentioned a Gorgonian, is it doing okay? I would suggest you read up on any corals or fish you add as that will greatly reduce your frustration.
Good luck to you!

Yes I have a gorgonian. I can't really tell the health of it, I just cleaned it off so we'll see if it starts to bloom or not. The problem is I clean it but then the nxt day it's completely covered again so it's hard to tell if it's doing ok or not, I'm assuming the algae is suffocating it. Is there really anything out there that will eat this algae besides hermits? My algae blenny doesn't touch it

54seaweed said:
what size tank is it
waterflow
is tank in direct sunlight kinda looks like it with glare on side of tank
how many crabs did you add usually 1 per gallon 1 or 2 just don't do the job
may want to add few turbo snails
if any of its hairy maybe even a lawn mower
don't trust a fish guy trust yourself doing them yourself its all about catching it before it starts
keep up the water changes

37 gal bow front (saltwater)
JBJ reaction 4 stage canister filter with built in uv sterilizer
external penguin bio filter with skimmer attachment
ETH 200 watt inline heater
2 power heads 500gph

30 gal (brackish)
bio filter
under-gravel 2 power-heads 250gph

30 gal hex (freshwater)
bio filter
under gravel 2 power heads 170gph

Who ever said keeping fish was easy should have there head examined
It's more like a full time job !!!!
Read more: Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Ok so I don't have nearly enough crabs I'll get more in a couple days. I do test myself as well I just get it rechecked by my fish guy to stay safe everything looks normal, I have a 28 gal bowl front. I wouldn't sa my tank is in direct sunlight but yes sun does shine on it, also my waterfowl I'm assuming is good I have a pink tip anemone that waves a lo. I have my reg filter and protein skimmer flowing the water. When I feed food goes all over

If you have an anemone I wouldn't cut back the lighting. can you go in the tank and pull off the alage, maybe get some of it out manually? Are you using ro/di water? Another good suggestion is to get your own test kit so you dont have to rely on a fish guy and you can know exactly whats what. the API saltwater master kit is about $20 on amazon.com and has ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and hi range ph. everything you need to start and maintain your tank.

Good luck

carey said:
If you have an anemone I wouldn't cut back the lighting. can you go in the tank and pull off the alage, maybe get some of it out manually? Are you using ro/di water? Another good suggestion is to get your own test kit so you dont have to rely on a fish guy and you can know exactly whats what. the API saltwater master kit is about $20 on amazon.com and has ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and hi range ph. everything you need to start and maintain your tank.

Good luck

I do clean the algae off manually doesn't seem to really help I'm afraid I'll damage my gorgonian if I continue to do it. I have my own testing kit I test it all before I bring my fish guy a water sample, like I said I just have him test it as I do to be on the safe side. I use regular tap conditioned, I don't have the money for Ro/di water. That might be adding to it, but I have been using the same water since I started my tank and I've never had anything like this.

The nutrients can and will build up. In my first tank the rock actually sucked up the phosphates and no matter what i did i couldnt lower them. Do you have those water machines at the supermarket? It's usually about 30 cents a gallon, thats what i did until I got my ro/di unit. You can don;t have to spend $200 on a ro/di machine either....here is one for $66 and it works just like the expensive ones and produces perfect water. The water alone will make a HUGE difference, I promise. lol I also was using treated tap in my first tank and it took weeks to get it all staright.

Good luck, heres the link for the cheap unit if youre interested

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

carey said:
The nutrients can and will build up. In my first tank the rock actually sucked up the phosphates and no matter what i did i couldnt lower them. Do you have those water machines at the supermarket? It's usually about 30 cents a gallon, thats what i did until I got my ro/di unit. You can don;t have to spend $200 on a ro/di machine either....here is one for $66 and it works just like the expensive ones and produces perfect water. The water alone will make a HUGE difference, I promise. lol I also was using treated tap in my first tank and it took weeks to get it all staright.

Good luck, heres the link for the cheap unit if youre interested

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

I'm afraid I don't know what machine your referring to at the supermarket. This mashing here in your link looks affordable, how do I use something like that? Do they last long?

I used the cheapo one for a year and I make ALOT of water lol. I had to change out the filters once it cost about $30. But like I said, I make like 100g a week usually.

This unit hooks up either to your gardenhose or to a kitchen sink. You tell them what adaptor you need and you get one included for that price. When not in use you can just pop it into the closet until next time. :) It's small too, not bulky and large like the usual ro/di units.

Some grocery stores or walmart have these ro machine out front or in the back in wlamsrt. You bring jugs and just fill them up for like 30 cents each.

This is not a solution, but until you figure out what exactly the issue is...giant green star snails. I have one in my tank and it is an algae eating machine, as a snail that is 1.5 inches long should be.

Sniperhank said:
This is not a solution, but until you figure out what exactly the issue is...giant green star snails. I have one in my tank and it is an algae eating machine, as a snail that is 1.5 inches long should be.

Will it eat my Corals?

Ya I googled them, I think they r too big, can I use any other snails?

Back
Top Bottom