slimy cob web looking stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr.Nate

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK, I am having what appears to be the same problem as in this thread:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewt...ys=0&postorder=asc&highlight=chemical+warfare

It is driving me CRAAAAAZY! I have to clean my overflow out every day or it gets slimed up......I've done like 4 or 5 massive water changes all back to back--and it still came back!!!!

I've run carbon, it's of little help it seems. My skimmer seems to help, but not completey.

I only have one tiny feather duster left in my tank, I just can't imagine that he's the culprit.

All water params are pefect.

Any thoughts before I give up on this stuff and let it crash my tank? (I've been dealing with this for several months, and water changes every 48-72 hours is getting old)

Thoughts?

I know you take beautiful pictures, any chance you can post one of the nuisence slime stuff?

you know, I will do just that.....I'll take the pic tonight and post it here because it is rampant in my tank right now.

alright....I know these pics aren't the greatest, but you can see the stringy looking slimy stuff. It's actually a little better today, but still lingering (doing a WC tomorrow) Hopefully I can get these pics on here corrrectly....
img_684208_0_37dcc43ba32c50d717132882198fc275.jpg

IMG]https://www.aquariumadvice.com/attachments/photobucket/img_684208_2_9bcfc861429073e76619568420b90fe2.jpg[/IMG]

img_684208_1_bc095952c0bda16d25f4e518cf9ffed7.jpg

img_684208_2_9bcfc861429073e76619568420b90fe2.jpg

i dont know if this helps or not, but ive got a peanut worm that leaves a lovely, stringy, slimey mess after he comes out to visit. maybe you have a visitor also.

hmmm.....anybody got a pic of a peanut worm? I'll do a search.

The only thing I can make out is what looks like foam/bubbles? Could be the starting of a cyano issue. If the water change is helping I'd continue til it's gone. Otherwise, I really don't know, sorry.

Fluff....

I had noticed that it was kind of bubbly too.....but I've never heard of clear cyano?!?! I've now done 5 pwc's back to back....it goes away for a couple days, then it comes right back. Could it be chemical warfare? It's the only other thing I can think of. I do have some starburst polyps overgrowing a colt coral and some xenia. Would that do it you think?

Oh, and I founds some pics on here of peanut worms and I've never seen one (not that it's not there, just haven't seen it)

The only other thing I've read is feather dusters sliming everything. Just doesn't seem like one tiny one would make that much of a mess.

Cleaning my overflow every day is getting old!

The water change yesterday did seem to help a lot. I'm runnin fresh GAC and changing it every several days as well. Let's see how long it takes to come back this time! I'm going out of town, so hopefully at least three days!

I seem to get that too, but I thought it might be from some of the snails in the tank. Sometimes, there is a film on the surface of the water too, but I t hasnt bothered anything.

there is a film on the surface of the water too,

I had that on tha surface of my tank. I moved my phs around and now it is gone. I made it so the whole surface of my tank moves, a little bit.

What kind of corals do you have? Leathers are known to have slime build up on them and then they slough it off. This slime can land on nearby corals and kill it where it lands.

You can check my profile, but yes, I do have lots of leathers, and a bunch of other stuff too. Chemical warfare is looking more and more like the culprit.

Back
Top Bottom