Small crack in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hammerhead911

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just finished my cycle in my FOWLR. I did my first water change and found a crack!!!!! The crack is at the top left, front corner. it is about two to three inches long going straight down. I don't know if it went all the way through the glass. I can't feel the crack on the inside, but my finger nail will catch just slightly on the outside. What should I do? Can I fix it some how? I'd hate to take out 150 lbs. of sand, 85 lbs. of rock and 65 gallons of water. Then again I'd hate to have to get that of the carpet if the tank breaks/leaks. What do I do?

P.S. It's an 65 gallon All Glass tank.

Get a new 65 and swap the sand, rock, etc.....a crack like that will only get bigger...usually all at once during the night, as luck usually has it...not worth the risk and worry.

Not good. Thank your luck stars you found it now and your floors are still dry. The crack will just keep getting bigger until...
If this is a new tank talk to the LFS where you bought it, they my help you out with a replacement...then agian maybe not. Either way get a new tank pronto.

I guess I'll call in sick tomorrow :( Thanks for the replies. If I use the same sand, water , etc. Will it start another cycle?

hammerhead911 said:
I guess I'll call in sick tomorrow :( Thanks for the replies. If I use the same sand, water , etc. Will it start another cycle?

You might get a small bump on your readings, but so long as you maintain the substrate, etc during the swap, and you do it as quickly as possible, it should be negligible.

Good idea. The movement of the substrate and rock could disrupt the diological filtration for a few days. You may see a small ammonia spike, you may not. Either way, you should not expect a full cycle again. Good luck.

What if I put my live rock and water into my Brute trash cans, hang the pre-filter on the side of the can, and run the wet/dry in and out of the trash can. Will this work, and for how long? I just need a safe solution until I find another tank.

Back
Top Bottom