Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-12-2005, 02:17 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

the whole deal is this. The girl I am setting it up for is a teacher. She needs to move this thing home every summer and long holidays. It needs to be small so that its not a project just to move it. 6 gal seemed like the best size for it b/c a small amount of rock is needed so she can put it in a container in water to move it home without killing her. There wouldn't be that many fish to worry about so moving them would be easy. the 6 gal nano cube seems like a good package and has gotten good reviews. Maintenance would be intensive but easy which is good for a teacher b/c she is there every day anyway. I decided against the 12 gallon b/c I would want the extra lighting and that takes it to 200 dollars most places. Maybe I'm wrong and should go with the 12 with the lower lighting. What does everyone think?

Old 12-12-2005, 02:23 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Suggest you look at a FW set up. I would be very hesitant to put sw in a class room especially when it needs to be moved on a regular basis.

IMO, nano are every as difficult to care for as a larger system because the water requirements need to be excat and you cannot slack at all on maintenance.

I once set up a 30g FW for my sister in law in a classroom with hardy cichlids. It lasted for years because the fish were more tolerant and FW is much easier to top off when needed andd maintain overall. Not to mention the cost if things do not work out.

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 02:54 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

yeah I'm aware of these problems. I tried to talk her into a fresh water tank but she has her heart set on a saltwater and has promised me that she will do whatever rediculus amount of maintenance necesary for it to work. Trust me I know the problems associated with salt water tanks, I have one. I'm just trying to figure out a way to make a very nice display for her that will be hardy and not too difficult. I will be around and will do alot of the maintenance on the tank myself.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:28 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Ya'll think 2 neon blue gobys and one clown is too much? Throw in a handfull of hermits and a couple of snails. Maybe a shrimp.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 04:50 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with other post here. With what you are wanting to do go FW. I have a 5 gallon hex tank for my little boy with 3 neons and a dwarf frog. Very easy tank to maintain. If you do SW you could only safely have one small fish and that would require constant monitoring. If you are stuck on SW I would do a small goby,shrimp, mushroom with some LR

Tags
schooling, schooling fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com