Small stars on the rock? Eat algee?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kanevskystas

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everybody..

I bought an anemone from a guy and the rock that the anemone was attached to had lots of pests on it... So i killed all the aptasia and my pepermint shrimp is a champ in getting to the ones i miss... But there were like 6-8 or maybe some still on the rock od small white/black stars on it... Here is a pic:
image-1682953239.jpg
So i know that if you have lost of something it is usually bad :) so are those good? I suspect they eat coralline algee ..

Here is the rock i bought:

image-217211646.jpg
The one with the two monti and anemone on it..

Asterina starfish. Some say their good and some say their bad and might eat corals. Ive never had a problem with the ones ive had in mine. But if you see them on your corals, you should definitely remove them.

They will take over. I thought they were really cool a year ago when I had a couple. Now I have hundreds and just bought a harlequin shrimp to try and clean them out. I was warned by someone and thought I would see what happened, they were right and now I thought I would let you know. I would try and remove them while you can.

They will take over. I thought they were really cool a year ago when I had a couple. Now I have hundreds and just bought a harlequin shrimp to try and clean them out. I was warned by someone and thought I would see what happened, they were right and now I thought I would let you know. I would try and remove them while you can.

Im with you eric! Out it is.

Harlequin shrimp are great at eating those starfish but when they run out of those little starfish you then have to buy those other starfish likd the chocolate chip ones to feed them are pass the shrimp to another felow reefer otherwise they will starve. Starfish is their primary food.

That is good to hear because I have been wanting one to get rid of those little stars. I had gotten rid of a lot of them but the few that remained are none multiplying... We too thought they were cool when we first started seeing them and man they sure did multiply.. Some even got to the size of a dime.

Back
Top Bottom