small steel washer lost in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquaanox

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys - i just started my first tank about 2 weeks ago, and everything is going well other than when i was cleaning out my tunze powerhead, a very tiny stainless steel washer that sits behind the impeller fell into the sand bed and is no where to be found. The washer is very thin and very small, much smaller than a penny. I have tried magnets, and fished around for hours but cannot find the darn thing. This is a 29g tank, and this is now freakin me out. How bad is this ?

It will eventually rust and could cause some issues . Are you sure it went into the tank? If so take a small spoon with holes or a small kitty litter scoop (new never used ) in it and try to sift it out . I would remove the LR to a bin with water remove almost all your water and sift then then take your water , LR and return it once found ...IMHHO if you cant find it remove the sand and replace it . :)

I don't think it's anything to worry about as far as doing something to your tank, especially if it's as small as I think it is (maybe 1/4" diameter?). I would be more concerned with replacing that washer. Those Tunze's aren't cheap and if they are anything like the Gen-X pump I have with the same type of small washer, with the washer not there the impeller can sit too low and make the pump loud.

It will eventually rust and could cause some issues . Are you sure it went into the tank? If so take a small spoon with holes or a small kitty litter scoop (new never used ) in it and try to sift it out . I would remove the LR to a bin with water remove almost all your water and sift then then take your water , LR and return it once found ...IMHHO if you cant find it remove the sand and replace it . :)

thx.. the spoon worked... found the sucka in a few minutes after reading this post. feelin much better now... cheers!

I don't think it's anything to worry about as far as doing something to your tank, especially if it's as small as I think it is (maybe 1/4" diameter?). I would be more concerned with replacing that washer. Those Tunze's aren't cheap and if they are anything like the Gen-X pump I have with the same type of small washer, with the washer not there the impeller can sit too low and make the pump loud.

yes the washer in tiny, btw.. i noticed that the pump runs a lot quieter without it.... less vibration, less noise, almost silent; though i will put it back in at some point now that ive found it.

Back
Top Bottom