small tank and a tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robert nellson

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi
i bought my first saltwater tank a week ago and I am very happy with it. it has been set up for 8 months and has a high nitrate level. how can i bring this down besides being religious about my water changes. it also has a yellow tang and is only 37 gallons, the tang is small at 1.5 inches. how long should i keep him?
thanks

Describe the contents of your tank. Coral or sand substrate? Skimmer? How much rock?

Nothing but a tang? I'd let him go now so you can get other fish you can keep longer.

Also, how often is the fish fed? Any cleaning crew?

IMO one thing that is needed for a tang is swimming room. The longer the tank the better. Your tang might be 1.5 inches now but they grow fast and will quickly outgrow the tank.

my tank is tall so that is not good it has crushed coral substrate and rufly65 pounds of LR there are other tank mates two clownfish a purple psuedochromis and two damsels i have the seaclone skimmer but i modified it until i can purchase a better one there is a hermit crab and bristle worm they are the only known tank cleaners he is fed once a day by flake and he always has algea in his clip

IMO one thing that is needed for a tang is swimming room. The longer the tank the better. Your tang might be 1.5 inches now but they grow fast and will quickly outgrow the tank.

This is so very true. I have a 72 gallon tank and both of my tangs have grown like weeds.....to the point that I'm feeling guilty about keeping the hippo tang in particular....he's a moose. My yellow tang isn't far behind him.

I would suggest that you consider trading in/adopting out your tang. There are so many other fish that would be more suitable for your situation and you would be able to get a couple more fish rather than a couple of big ones.

Good luck to you! :)

I'd stop by your lfs and talk to them about trading him in....unless you know of someone local who would give him a good home (yes, I get very attached to my fish I know).

The crushed coral is the likely culprit for the nitrates. Fish load kinda heavy too 'cause of the tang, and 3 other fish. The clip every day doesn't help either IMO.

Back
Top Bottom