Smashed hermit crab shell can only mean one thing.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I've been suspicious for a little while. In some of my LR caves I see some empty snail shells and have been wondering about my pistol shrimp. Now today I see back in a cave my large hermit crab shell. The diameter of the shell was about the size of a quarter and the crab itself was pretty large. I'm not sure what else could have done this so I"m assuming my pistol is homicidal. Maybe it's time to get rid of him....or maybe I have a mantis hitchhicker I've never seen and assume the snapping is always from my pistol?

ugg, I was afraid of that. I guess I sould try setting some traps? It's gonna be hard because I have 2 skunk cleaners, a fire shrimp, and 4 peppermints as well as least 1 pistol so catching the right one is going to take time :cry:

I would get a redlight and look for it at night. If you see it pull the rock and take it to your LFS or get a 10 gallon for your viewing pleasure.

I think I'll try to make a trap? I have a 10g with 2 of them in already. This is going to be tough, I have about 200lbs LR and a ton of other shrimp/snails/crabs that I"m sure will find their way into the trap as well.

BTW, thanks for the link to the article, think I'll try it with a plastic cup? That little guy cut his finger pretty good :twisted:

Okay...I have something like that going on too. Most of my snails have been killed off (I think that is from the hermit crabs...?) but now I've been seeing my hermit crabs dead out of their shells, looking like they got ripped out. One of the shells was rushed. Could that be a sign of a mantis too? I've never seen a mantis in my tank, and this just started recently.

It sounds like a Mantis to me. I have caught 10 so far in my 75G. 6 of them by a carbonated water dip when I got the rock, the remainder I have removed the rock when I saw one and poured carbonated water into their holes. That method killed them, but these guys are a real menice. I still have at least 2 I know of in the tank I've been unable to capture, but I may try that cup method with some blender mush they seem to be fond of.

I would just be happy if mine would show his face. LOL. I really suspect one is in my tank, and it would surly be nice of him to pop up and say "hi im here" so i would know for sure. although I have many crabs and some snails and conchs, none of which have been attacked to the best of my knowledge. at least no broken shells. 0X

I wish I could find mine too. I hear him all the time but even after many late night flashlight searches, I have seen nothing...

I migt have to check this trap out.

I am going to be moving my tank in about a month. I could dip each piece but I would hate to hurt anything else. :(

can hear them smashing at the insides of the rocks. it makes a definate popping, or clicking sound. hence the term Reefrunner used. (smashers)

Back
Top Bottom