snail babies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hara

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am not sure that what I have is snail babies. I cannot take a picture as they are almost transparent on the glass. Here are the specifics:
they come out at night
they live on the glass
size is about 1/8 inch long, rectangle shape, v slit at one end
very milky color but transparent
little antennae
fairly quick moving as soon as the lights come on.
no shell
move in a snail type movement

any ideas? they are showing up in the two smaller tanks en masse.
I saw maybe 50 in the seahorse tank and 25 or so on the glass of the 30

Sounds like copepods. Here is Dr. Ron's description.
Organism is tiny, ("elongated teardrop" shape really discernable only with magnification), and moves with rapid jerky motion. Tends to be visible on glass; typically white. Harpacticoid copepod. Phylum Arthropoda, Subphylum Crustacea, Class Copepoda, Order Harpacticoida. Small herbivores or scavengers, these tiny bugs have a short egg-to-adult period and may "bloom" rapidly in a tank. They are good fish food.

I would guess flat worms. I have some of the same, although mine are not as timid. They do not appear to be causing a problem, and are not overrunning the tank, so I have left them alone. I think my sixline may be munching on them, but he prefers xenia fingers
teufel11.gif

I am assuming for now that this particular type of flatworms are benign detrivore/algaegrazers.

they are not like any copepods that I have seen. Another way to describe it would be a smeared blob of silicone with antenna that moves in a sliding motion....as long as they are not harmful..but with these seahorses, you have to be paranoid about everything.

Another way to describe it would be a smeared blob of silicone with antenna that moves in a sliding motion...

This description could also be describing stomatella (cap snails), their shells can be difficult to distinguish at times...

Back
Top Bottom