snail control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thanew

Aquarium Advice Freak
what controls the snail population?

I don't really want to dump in a chemical, is there a shrimp of some sort (no mantis) that will take care of smaller baby snails?

thanks

thane

how do you have a snail problem?
How many do you have in your tank?
Did babies hatch? If so sell em back to the shop ! Make money !

well thats what I thought.. they look to be turbo snails.. there was about 10 of them.. i had 4 adults to start out with.. and i honestly thought that they wouldnt reproduce like that.. oh well i have no problem with them i just dont want it to get out of control..

i mean I love what they do.. and i dont think there is a bad snail, but I jus tdont want there to be an assload of these dudes..

AFAIK turbo snails don't reproduce in reef aquariums. Most, although there are some, SW snails available don't. Can you post a pic? Could they be hitchhikers?

I have a similar problem. I have over 20 astrea baby snails and they spawn over a period of serveral weeks. The birth started out with 5, then 10, 15 and 20. I have not introduced anything for a long time. So it must have spawn from the existing crew.

MT79 said:
AFAIK turbo snails don't reproduce in reef aquariums. Most, although there are some, SW snails available don't. Can you post a pic? Could they be hitchhikers?

Well I certainly had a baby snail in my tank one day (can't find him now...) and I don't think he was a hitchhiker...

IMO, the food source can only supply so much and once the demand gets too high, only the strong will survive and rest will starve.

If these are algae eating snails i'm sure you can easily trade them or sell them.

I also had an overpopulation (if you wanna call it that) of snails in my 7 gallon nano. Because I never added a snail to the tank, I do not know what species they are. I'll tell you what, I counted over 150 of these little guys on the glass and rock.

Back
Top Bottom