Snail Destruction..??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zer0

is back to save the day!
Alright well, i have this one snail that looks like a cone. And Innovator told me what it was the other day but i forgot.. so anyways. Its on this rock.. and everytime it moves.. it leaves the place where it was on the rock, completely stripped and white.. So like.. is thing going to massacre my live rock? Or what.

Thats what it was! Jeeze thanks thom.. that junk was drivin me nuts lol. Couldn't think of it. It could be Astrea.. but seriously.. it looks nothing like the Astreas i've seen. Its just a cone.. thats it. No pionty things or anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some astreas have pointy things, but all the ones I've normally bought are just cones. Same with trochus. That's pretty much all I've had in my tank since it was up and they do what they should - eat algae off my rocks. They don't mess with coralline, so not sure why they're leaving your rocks white. Unless your rocks are covered with diatoms or algae... and then they're just doing their job.

Well then yeah, because my rocks are covered with diatoms and dead algae. So you think they are Astrea? i can care less if they are.. i would rather know whats in my tank lol.

... i can care less if they are.. i would rather know whats in my tank lol.

Hmm. Either you could care less, or you'd rather know... kinda got me there.

If you want to know, then I'd post a picture. If you could care less, then... obviously no picture is required!

No no, i meant i could care less which one of them they are. But i care to know WHICH one it is.. see what im saying? like.. it doesn't bother me which of them they are.. thats the part i dont care about. Ill try to get a picture, but id just disappeared so i need to find it again.

The top of the foot (not the part you see against the glass) of a trochus is black. The top of the foot of an astrea is a whitish/tannish color, sometimes with black specks or streaks.

Thanks! Its an Astrea then. It was stuck to the glass and i just saw its foot and it was a whitish color with like 2 black spots. Maybe its antenna were the black spots. Thanks Kurt.

Back
Top Bottom