Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-18-2008, 07:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Snail discussion

I am trying to understand the science of snails. I know sounds crazy but fascinating. Wondering if there is research material on snails?

My snails seem to spend time at the surface halfway inside the water and halfway out. Do they like to be semi-out of the water for a reason? When I do my PWC and it lowers the water leaving the snail outside of the water for as long as it takes to refill the tank. They do ok with it.

How does a snail digest its food?

How does a snail poop?

How does a snail produce a new shell exactly? if they left there shell would they die?

Are they fine-filter feeders or do they have a mouth to swallow chunks? Is it kinda like a fly that vomits and then redigests?

From Kurt-Nelsons post about snails reproducing in his tank I now understand how they are produced. After the egg is fertilized they just hatch from the substrate I assume?

I know wierd stupid questions I guess I am bored today with nothing better to do than think about snail behavior.

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:17 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

The Grazing Snails, Part I - Turbo, Trochus, Astraea, and Kin by Ronald L. Shimek, Ph.D. - Reefkeeping.com

The Grazing Snails, Part II - Abalones, Limpets and Nerites by Ronald L. Shimek, Ph.D. - Reefkeeping.com

The Grazing Snails, Part III: Conchs, Ceriths, Cowries, and Columbellids by Ronald L. Shimek, Ph.D. - Reefkeeping.com

http://web.archive.org/web/200208142...wb/default.asp

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lightbulb

thanks melosu58 you always seem to have all the research material.

An Acclimation time for snails is a recommended 5-10 hours according to the article. They are very sensitive to changes in SG very interesting stuff.

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
Old 02-19-2008, 12:43 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

He says 5-10 but I`ve never done mine that long. I do mine about 2-3 with no problem. 5-10 would be optimal but 2-3 is OK.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 02-19-2008, 01:10 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

The acclimation time for snails has ALWAYS bee debated (well, what else isn't in our hobby??). I actually let the snails acclimate themselves. I simply float the bag they are located in to get them used to the water temp. Then I take them out and let them attach to the glass inside the tank halfway in and out of the water. They will sit there for a long period before actually moving on. Never lost one doing it this way... Actually got this method from Dr. Shimenk (that isn't even closed to how it is spelled) over on ReefCentral years ago. Never failed me yet.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:53 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

this still leads me to my original question. I couldn't find the answer within the research. Why do the snails hang out halfway in the water and halfway out. Is this normal behavior for them to do consistently or is there a reason they are doing it.

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
Old 02-20-2008, 04:48 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijiwigi View Post
this still leads me to my original question. I couldn't find the answer within the research. Why do the snails hang out halfway in the water and halfway out. Is this normal behavior for them to do consistently or is there a reason they are doing it.
Beats me. I'm not really sure that there is any "rhym or reason" to what they do. The just send to move around the tank in a random fashion from what I can tell...
Old 02-20-2008, 10:18 PM   #8
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I`ve seen snails come out of the water all the way before. I just think there is some food there and they are coming out to get it. I really dont think there is any reason. JMO

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 02-20-2008, 11:33 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijiwigi View Post
What type of snails are doing this?

I've read that some snails are more accustomed to tide pool areas and will spend more time at the water line for that reason. Think it was nerites? (Going by memory on that bit.) I know my turbos and trochus rarely come up to water line, and then it's just to get the algae I'm lazy at scraping right near the rim. The nassarius never do.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:37 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I only have like 4 snails as of now my clean-up crew is still not complete. The one that does it is an astrea snail I believe.

FijiWigi_Tank_photos

Tags
discus, snail

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com