Snail shells, remove them or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uncwalley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got an established SW tank a few weeks ago, and inside were several live snails along with some shells that haven't moved in quite awhile. I'm sure that there is nothing much alive inside, but I don't know if there is anything dead in there either. I would imagine not since they have been there since I got the tank and I assume longer. Should I remove them? I'm having some nitrate problems, big ones, but no ammonia or nitrite issues. I'm working on getting a DSB in the tank as soon as I can find the sand, but I'd like to fix the nitrate problem without having to do daily water changes.

If you have hermit crabs, just leave them in there. The crabs will find them and move in if they are bigger than their current home. If there are hermits in the tank the snail inside has most likely already been eaten.

If you don't have any hermit crabs at the moment go ahead and pull them out if you they are part of your nitrate cause,

HOLD on to them for later when you do get hermits and you can just put them back in.

Back
Top Bottom