snails and crabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

littlereef

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Our clean up crew keeps dying! We started with about 10 snails and 10 crab. All died and we replaced with 5 each. Currently only have 3 crab and 1 snail left from thats second batch. Any ideas why they are dying?

25g
1 royal gramma
2 chromis
1 goby and pistol shrimp
1 cleaner shrimp
Unknown amount serpent sea stars (possibly 2 ,came with live rock )

2012-10-21_19-32-01_686-1.jpg

littlereef said:
Mantis shrimp? We don't have one of those.

Mantis shrimps are usually received as hitchhikers that are unwanted guests. How old is the tank? Do you hear any "clicking" noises? If so google them & you will see what I was referring to.

Ok thanks i will google it. We hear clicking but we have a pistol shrimp that we thought was making that noise. I am pretty sure they were dying before we got the pistol shrimp though. Hmmm

Was your LR from a store or someone else's tank? If from someone else's tank, are you sure it was never treated with copper? What are amm, Trites and Trates? Specific gravity?

littlereef said:
Ok thanks i will google it. We hear clicking but we have a pistol shrimp that we thought was making that noise. I am pretty sure they were dying before we got the pistol shrimp though. Hmmm

I've never had my pistols kill anything except one once killed another (I believe) but I have heard that they will hunt if not kept we'll fed. Maybe they contributed to the deaths.

Yeah, I put food in my pistols burrow every day. He still kills a snail here and there. That's nature, it sucks to be slow and defenseless in nature.

Back
Top Bottom