Snails and other algae cleaners.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottw68TN

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello, A friend of mine has a salt tank thats been running for a few months and can't seem to get his algae under control. I told him it was cyanobacteria and probably due to high phospates and his cleaning routine. I also told him to get a couple snails which he did but the flipped over and died (I'm sure you guys know which kind this is) So what other inverts should I suggest to him?
Hes using argonite and I have no idea about his params.

We need to start with how the filtration is set up and what the maintenance schedule is. Adding all the inverts in the world won't correct a problem with either setup or maintenance. The snails that flipped and died could have been astreas...they're bad about that...they get upside down and can't get turned back over. Or, the deaths could have been related to water parameters. Possibly you could encourage your friend to join up here and post the info we need to help him?

We would also need to positivly ID the algae to recommend the right inverts, there are very few that will eat cyano, and none that will eat dinos, so knowing what type of algae it is, is important. There is a small article on algae control in the articles section.

Astreas is correct. Ive been trying to get him to join up. I'm sure he will soon. The snails before they "drowned" where starting to put a dent in the algae. He seems to like the UGF's and a small hob combination and is not real fond of vacuming. Not sure about this tank.

Back
Top Bottom