Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-07-2007, 01:03 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Re: Snails dying

Originally Posted by GuOD

I've just seen a bunch of empty shells around my tank. They're astrea snails I believe (LFS called them Turbo Snails though). ...
I tested my water to make sure and all was good wtih my test strip, but nitrates showed 20ppm....
Are you sure the shells are empty? I mean... have you yanked one out and busted it open? Just a guess here, but I bet the snail is still in there and it rotting away might be the source of your nitrates if 20ppm is out of the ordinary for you.

I've lost maybe 1/2 of my turbans over the last 3 months and I think it's because with those pointy shells, when they pitch off the top of a rock somewhere they auger into the sand bed pretty good and can't right themselves. The tronchus snails, with a rounder shell, don't seem to have that problem. My water parameters are just dandy and nothing else is effected, so I'm just guessing I have clumsy snails.

A month or so ago, I just happen to be looking at one on my rock just as the lights went off. The lights must've startled the snail because at that very moment, it lost grip and took a high dive off the rock into the sand. I watched it for about 5 minutes trying to right itself. No go. I finally had mercy and got the long tweezers out and righted it.

You might dig one of those shells out and see if it's truly empty before you give your crabs twenty lashes for something they might not have done. (Although I wouldn't put it past them.)

Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 07:44 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to TheChad
I think all snails are clumsy!

I'll be sitting in my living room watching TV, and see stuff falling in the tank.

I have to flip my snails over all the time.

90 Gallon Drilled Glass Tank w/ Corner Overflow: 492w (2x 150w 14,000K MH, 2x 96w Actinic CF) Coralife Aqualight Pro | Custom 34x15x15 Sump/Refugium | SWC Skimmer | Coralife Turbo-Twist 6x UV Sterilizer | Maxi-Jet Power Head w/Sure Flow Upgrade Kit | 120lbs of Live Rock | 100lbs of Live Sand
TheChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:53 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I keep my FOWLR, 55G at 1.0200 and the temp at 78. Astrea snails tend to be clumsy and can not upright themselves. I would bet your hermits are making snacks of them.
Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:49 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Ditto on snail flipping. Snails often just drop off the wall and rock and end up directly on their backs. Most snails can flip over on their own but some need help. Check any snail that you haven't noticed moving for a couple of hours to make sure it's not dead.

If the shell opening doesn't stink then either the snail is inside alive or has already been cleaned out by the hermits. I always place them back in if I don't smell anything. Make sure you smell the shell (not too close ) since often it will appear to still be in there but is dead.

If it does stink remove from tank since it will elevate your no3.

Are you using tap/well water or ro/di? no3 of 20 ppm isn't high enough to affect most snails to the point of death but keeping it closer to 10 ppm or lower will help prolong all your mobile invert stock.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote

dyi, dying, snail, snails, snails dying

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com