Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-12-2005, 03:37 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Snails eating zoanthids?

Hello all, back with yet another question!

I have a very small colony of Zoanthids and it seems like my snails are eating them!

After the snail passes over the Zoa's are of course closed up, but there seem to be less and less each day.

Water params are fine: Ammonia=0, Nitrites= 0, Nitrates= 10-20ppm(In between the two colors), PH at 8.3-8.4.

I feed the tank Marine snow every 2-3 days, should I step that up?

Lighting is in signiture, but here it is for those that can't see:
Coralife Aquapro 72" HQI: 3x150 watt 10,000K MH lamps, 4x96 watt True Actinic 03 Blue PC lamps, 4x1 watt Lunar Blue-Moon-Glow LED lamps

As always thank you for the help and advice!

Old 02-12-2005, 03:40 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to xxmoorishmanxx
what kind of snails? if they are reg. turbos or the like that would be an extremly odd behavior, u may have a hitchhiker some kind of nudi perhaps that is eating them. I would feed them larger items such as pellets flakes and brine or cruched/cut up krill

Old 02-12-2005, 07:58 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, look around the stalks. I recently bought a cluster of pink zoos. I had to pull off two sea spiders and a zoo eating snail ( Heliacus sp) that were sucking the life out of them. Even so, I still lost alot of them and the colony is really dying off. All my other zoas are doing fine. I doubt it is any of your algae eating snails doing the damage. Then again, I don't understand why your snails would be "passing over them". What kind of snails do you have?
Old 02-12-2005, 11:17 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

My turbos pass over my zoos without a problem. I would check for Nudi's they can be hard to spot use a Magnifying Glass if you have to. Also look for Sundial Snails at night they are zoo eaters. You may have to do a dip on these zoo,s.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:09 PM   #5

Well thanks for the input. I have turbo, astrea(sp?), margarita, trochus, and cerith, fighting conchs. Just general cleanup crew that you can purchase online.
I will keep an eye out at night and get a glass to see if I can find the culprit.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Maybe your lights are too much for them to adjust too. Where are they in the tank? If there high move them lower or under a ledge to block the light some.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 11:07 PM   #7

They are about halfway up the tank in the full light. The remaining ones are open wide and seem to be doing great. Perhaps I did cook them at first so only the strong survived, I am not sure. But I will keep an eye out on them and see what happens.

Tags
eat, eating, snail, snails, zoanthid, zoanthids

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com