snails keep climbing out of my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bjj_junkie

Aquarium Advice Activist
This is new to me and I don't understand why. I have a rimless tank and as of yesterday I've found two of my turbo snails on the floor and the mark on the glass that shows the went over the edge. Why are they doing this? Why now? I tested yesterday for calcium 350, magnesium 1600 and alkalinity 13. I did a full test last week and everything else was fine. All the other animals are doing good too so I'm just curious if these snails do that when you're ready to die or something. Thanks!

Snails climb out when there is bad water quality. My FW tank, I do 2, 30% WC every week. Snails are the quality detectors

Snails climb out when there is bad water quality. My FW tank, I do 2, 30% WC every week. Snails are the quality detectors

I agree with bkiggy
Snail r sensitive to the water quality. I have apple snails ( pomacea maculata )in my 20 gal and when they try to climb out ( very rare ) I know I need to do a water change. I usually just do a 30% water change every Saturday.

Apple snails also go out of the water to lay eggs sometimes they go a bit high and fall out but yea just remember that too haha

I had a turbo snail that went up my skimmer outlet pipe it managed to get into the skimmer chamber and stayed there cleaning away for 2 weeks it finally found its way back out

I had a feeling it had to do with the water but its strange because on paper the water is fine but ill try doing a pwc when I get home and see how it is after. Thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom