Snails keep dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rambo64

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 4 nassarius snails, 2 emarald carbs, a diamond goby, 1 scarlett hermit, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, and 2 (down from 6) Astraea Snails. I have found 2 dead Astraea Snails each of the last two days. I came home from work today to find another dead lying at the bottom of my tank. Has anyone ever had this problem or know why it continues to happen. i checked my levels and everything appears to be fine. I am going to bring water to my LFS so i can compare tommorrow.

What are you keeping your temp. at? I had this problem when my temp was at about 80-82, but now that I have it down to about 78, all my snails are doing fine. BTW, all my parameters tested out perfect also.

HTH

Astraea's are clumsy. Just plain clumsy. Let me guess... you found them augered point down in the sand? With the shape of that shell, it seems like if they "slip/trip" off a high piece of rock, they'll fall point first down into the sand. And unlike other snails, they can't reach their foot around as well as others to right themselves. I've read somewhere that if snails don't right themselves within a certain time period, they die. Not sure why... maybe someone elaborate. Obviously, if the crabs find them in that position, well...

Seems like I flip back over at least one of my astraes each week, and have unfortunately not noticed many others until they're goners. My trochus and nassarius though are either nimble enough to right themselves, or have a better shaped shell to keep it from happening in the first place.

I agree with Kurt. I lose a lot of astreas too from the dreaded "stuck shell in the sand" thing. Most of the time you can flip em back over and them will be fine. Sometimes...its too late.

Also agree that checking for temp flucuations would be beneficial.

My temp hovers right around 78 degrees give or take a degree. Is the any other sanil out there that is good at eating algae but isn't as suicidal as the Astraea Snail?

Trochus snails... hands down my favorite. Followed closely by nassarius, but for different reasons. Trochus do a fantastic job of cleaning the rock, and I've never had one die from "sticking head in sand" syndrome. The only drawback to them is they get big and can have a tendancy to become lumbering snowplows across your live rock. I don't have much in the way of corals, but I've heard some folks complain about them doing a little rearranging of their corals.

I also have recently fallen in love with the BIG nassarius... think they're called Super Tongan on LiveAquaria. I just added one to my tank, and it does a fantastic job of plowing through the sand keeping it turned over. Think I'm going to add a couple more to keep my sand bed stirred up. I've seen it pitch off rocks on occassion, but they've got a super flexible, long foot that can get them back upright.

I like the nassis too, it's cool to see them pop up from under the sand when they sense food. I would also suggest a fighting conch.

Yeah I do know about the crabs. I think they are the culprit in this. I just think my snails are falling off of the rocks and the crabs are coming in for the kill.

Rambo64 said:
I think they are the culprit in this. I just think my snails are falling off of the rocks and the crabs are coming in for the kill.

I think this is a very good assessment of the situation.

I've had hermits of 2 kinds in my tank, and I've not seen them ever attack astrea snails. Astreas are actually one of the only kind my crabs have not killed. I have about 10 blue legged hermits and a scarlet hermit. They did like the Llynassa snails when I had them (do not reccomend them to anyone now) and the turbos.

I don't think the crabs are your problem, just that you keep losing them from tipping over. :)

I've also heard from a knowledgeable source that many of the astrea snails that are sold in the reef trade are cool water species. The temps we run our reefs at is too high for them, causing lethargy and ultimately premature death. 90% of the Astrea snails I get don't last more than a few months, but I've had trochus, nerite, and bumble bees literally last for years. Just my experience..
Did you drip acclimate everything?

That's very likely at least part of the problem. Drip acclimation is mandatory for inverts. They are much more likely to succumb to changes in water chemistry than vertebrates. Here is an article describing the process- http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=18
FWIW I have heard of people placing snails at the water line on the aquarium glass so they can slowly acclimate themsleves to the water. Drip would still be best IMO.

i agree with the astreae flaw, they fall and can't get up. you'll notice somethings wrong because unlike other snails, astreae never gone on the sand, as their foot is best suited for rocks/glass

Back
Top Bottom