snails...uhm...having too much fun?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chizzle

Aquarium Advice Regular
So when we first bought the snails, of course, they were all jumbled up in the bag on top of one another. Figured I'd put them in the tank & they would...well...disassemble. Well...some of them did and others didnt. Two weeks later they still continue to ride eachother around. Figured it was a little odd (because it wasn't just two, it was everyone pairing up), but you know, whatever. So tonight...they are not just on top of eachother...but they are...well...polinating (to keep it friendly)? And it wasn't just one pair...sometimes another would come over and join in.

Well...this has now been going on for three hours. Any ideas about when it will stop? What conditions are right for snails mating? Not that I'm expecting anything to come of this (although the last time I had something mate in a fish tank I ended up with about 250 texas cichlids in a 55gal. That all lived...and grew...and prospered...all from the first 'attempt'), but what should I expect? And finally...any effect on water quality?

And of course, for those of you interested...I will be posting pictures after Greys Anatomy :)

They could be spawning or cleaning the other's shells. Wjat kind of snails? You will know what they are up to in a few days, when/if they lay eggs. I wouldn't worry about the egge, they tend to be bonus food for the other critters.

Hmm...I'm pretty sure they are Mexican Turbos. I want to be optimistic that they eggs will become food, but like I said before, that was what was supposed to happen with my FW tank, but instead I had a mating pair that wouldnt stop.

Attachments

• 000_0412_208.jpg
    000_0412_208.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 000_0410_135.jpg
    000_0410_135.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 000_0392_584.jpg
    000_0392_584.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 20
I had a few snails do the same thing shortly after I got them. I don't know if they were successful or not as I haven't seen any babies....but I expect they are tiny. Very cool pics though!!

WOW....$198.88 for a 125g tank. $358 for RR. WOW....that seems like really good prices to me. I may need to make a trip down to the beach soon!

tecwzrd, I actually got them from Fish Safari. Are you from around here? Although Animal Jungle has some great things (like the rock and the tank :) ), I have a hard time finding inverts there in large quantity.

I didn't get a chance to check out the tank today - got off work & went straight to a hockey game - but I'll check it tomorrow & start looking for eggs. From what everyone is saying, I shouldn't have anything to worry about. We'll see though. I'll definitely keep everyone updated.

They were releasing gametes into the water. They usaully don't survive to adulthood, but they are good live food food for some corals, etc :wink: I would recommend running some GAC, and a PWC would not hurt either.

Thanks MT79. We are doing the PWC tomorrow. Since the original post I haven't noticed any eggs (don't know how long it would take?), and they haven't done it again. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

i just did saw that my lr was full of mini sized snails.. not sure what kind but they are very very small they all have small shells.. i counted 40 on my LR and glass i only noticed 6 before but last night when my lights were off with the moon lights i could see them all .
i was very surprized. i only have 2 large turbo snails. so i guess they are those...
i hope this doesnt cause problems in my tank ..

Back
Top Bottom