Snake oil or sliced bread...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
very interesting review and even moreso when there are some greater comparison/contrasts by skeptics :)

I've heard about that before but I've never actually seen one in person or talked to anyone that has. Definately a sweet idea! Hurts my wallet just thinking about it though!

Given the technology that's available it was only a matter of time.

Hmmmm... how easy and cheap do you think it would be to get a couple of hundred white and blue LEDs wired-up to a couple of power supplies and timers?
I see people on Ebay selling do-it-yourself moonlight LED kits for dirt cheap so obviously the parts aren't that big an investment...

While not as sophisticated as their fully dimmable computer controlled setup, I think you could easily make a basic 3-cord, 3-timer LED hood if you could find the right wavelength LEDs.
Maybe something like a layout of 200 daylight LEDs on one circuit, 200 actinic blue LEDs on a second circuit, and 20 "blue moon" LEDs on a third circuit, each with their own on/off timers?

I might have to start a new pet-project soon...

That looks very interesting! I was looking into the 72", that would hurt my wallet!

We talked about these at a metting we had locally with Steven Pro. They are very expensive and the longevity of the leds will remain to be seen. I believe T5's and PC bulbs were supposed to revolutionize the industry with longer bulb life and intensity.

I believe they had a booth at MACNA with a PAR meter on a LED fixture and a PC/T5 fixture. The meters were not identical though.

The jury is still out.

So, how hard is it to replace the LEDs if there is a problem?
How much do they cost?
They only offer a 2 year warranty, but claim the LEDs will last for 11.4 years.
I mean there is definitely a savings of not having to purchase new bulbs every 6-9 months....but....
Loyalrogue, that was a great article.

Very interesting. I am not ready to give up MH yet. the article in the link offered some sound data and it appeared to be a legit study, comparatively. However, i would like to see more data on actual coral growth rates under the different types of lights, controlling for all other tank parameters.

For those interested in the DIY aspect with regards to LED lighting, there is a thread on reefcentral detailing a DIY nano-LED tank.

The guy ordered an immense quantity of led's from Hong Kong; soldered them all in to place (no easy feat as the numbers are mind boggling even on a nano tank), and then set up the tank. From what I remember, corals did survive under his lighting. Coraline did spread. I think his biggest hurddle to overcome was the small sive of the tank (8 gallon).

I'll try to find the link to his posts -- definitely an interesting read.

Back
Top Bottom