Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-16-2006, 09:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Snappers and Groupers

I have a smaller tank I plan on putting a small 1 1/2 inch emperor red snapper and possibly a baby panther grouper the same size. I know these are very hardy fish, and I have kept many groupers before, but no snappers.

How comparable are they in care and behavior?

How would they be as tank mates?

Also, how fast do they grow?

Old 01-16-2006, 10:02 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
When you say smaller I ohpe your not refering to the 10 gal you posted the skilter question about. If so than you should know better since you say you have kept many groupers. Even a baby grouper is to big for a 10 gal tank. Let alone adding another giant bodied fish to the tank. As im sure you already know they will outgrow the 10 gal within a very short time. My guess will be in about 4 months depending on feeding.

http://species.fishindex.com/species...r_grouper.html

MIN TANK SIZE 250

http://www.fishbase.org/summary/Spec...ary.php?id=178

And given the potenal size of the snapper I would say an equivlent size tank for it.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ohh beleive me I know this!

I have a 150 with a 12 inch panther grouper and a 6 inch v-tail, and I have a new 200 with nothing in it that I cannot set up until I complete my move into my new house!

The grouper and the snapper will both be living in one of the larger tanks once I get it set up in about 4 or 5 months. This is only a temporary home for these baby fish until I can move them into the larger tank.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:10 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
THe best advice I can give is to wait till you move to get them then. Its not worth their physical well being to be crammped up in such a small box when you can just wait till your ready.

Its not like they are teh last young grouper and snapper left.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 12:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the advice, I worked out a deal with the guys at the fish place, I just spent 1000$ on a new tank from them and they know my situation, so they let me purchase the fish and I paid 15 $ extra a peice to pay for food and he will keep them there until I have the bigger tank setup.

Thanks for the advice.

I havent seen to many aquarium snappers....are there any other types sold besides the emperor red?
Old 01-17-2006, 09:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to vsnsofadrgn
thanks for thinking of the fish!

hope dies last
vsnsofadrgn is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com