Snapping Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdang

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I've had my tank set up for two months and I just put livestock in it a few days ago. I got a black clown, peppermint shrimp, and an emerald crab. I haven't fed the tank for the past two months.

Today I drop some sinking pellets in that land next to a hole in the live rock and this pink and purple lobster looking thing comes out and grabs some pellets. Scared the crap out of me.

Them I couldn't find the pep shrimp and I thought it ate him or it was him...but I finally found him hiding.

So I have a hitch hiker shrimp? The closest thing I could find that looked like it was a Japanese snapping shrimp on live aquaria. Any ideas what this could be? My rock is from Indonesia.

Pics would be helpful. But a hitch hiker shrimp does occur from time to time. Did it look like a mantis shrimp? Those tend to hitch hike more often than not.

No. I know what a mantis shrimp looks like. This looks like a pink and purple smooth pistol shrimp. It's not bumpy like a lobster.

It's too quick to take pics. It only came out twice to get the pellets. It almost looked translucent. I thought it might be the Japanese snapping shrimp because that was the closest thing I could find to it.

It's weird because it lives up above on a high rock, but I did notice tunnels on the bottom too. It has never come out like you can see a pistol shrimp digging. So weird.

I wanted to get a pistol/goby combo. You think I still can, or will they fight...?

I want to buy them paired up at the store. I'm just worried this shrimp will get jealous.

They don't have to pair up at the store. you can purchase them separately if you'd like. Pistols and gobies pair up rather quickly in a tank.

That would be cool. ID'ing this thing though...he's deep in this rock. Maybe I can fish him out with a piece of shrimp on a chopstick

Haha, yeah. They're hard to get a shot of. Though I think ID'ing this thing is the best first course of action. You can go from there.

What goby does michaels shrimp go with?

That's a rarer pistol shrimp. I have one but paid like $50 for it. You got really lucky. I already have a goby and pistol shrimp pair hen I added him, so I don't really know if they pair up or not. I think they do.

Ok sweet so maybe I could add a pistol/goby pair and they would be ok or should I just try adding a yellow goby?

Back
Top Bottom