snapping shrimp vs sea star

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rakoda

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
I had tank that was full of live
there was ghost shrimps, small crab, small decorative crab, small fish(the kind of fishes that remains at the bottom most of the time), hermit crab and
snapping shrimp
images

one by one everything started to die so after 9 months that only thing that remained was the snapping shrimp
well, I don't know if all the others died normally (cause if snapping shrimp wanted to kill them why it take all that time?)
but anyway I bought 2 clown fishes and a star fish
the sea file looks like this
images

as soon as I released the fishes and the sea star, the snapping shrimp showed great interest in the sea star they even tried to drag it to their hiding place just to welcome the new visitor

I am posting this post for two reasons.
1. for warning the others from doing the same mistake
2. discuses with you if that is normal or my snapping shrimps are VERY aggressive

Snapping shrimp? too funny..

Do a search on mantis shrimp and you'll know why everything is dead.. including your star very shortly

ya, if he dragged the star to his hole that star wont be alive for long.

Tha t shrimp pictured above is a pistol shrimp, not a mantis. Still, if that pistol is dragging a starfish into his cave, I'd say he is a problem. Then again, you said "they". You got more than one pistol?

Tha t shrimp pictured above is a pistol shrimp, not a mantis. Still, if that pistol is dragging a starfish into his cave, I'd say he is a problem. Then again, you said "they". You got more than one pistol?
Two (male and female I guess), i had more 3 or 4 maybe
but only two remained the rest "mysteriously" died like the rest

anyway I couldn't risk two clown fishes and a sea star to keep the two pistol shrimps
and it started to be a sure thing that those pistol shrimps killed the rest
no body else want them and i can't return them to the sea (its 200km away) so they had to die
I boiled some water and placed them in, the most human method i could think of
sorry to do that but I was out of options

Back
Top Bottom