snorkeling pics from Dominican Rep. trip (school of tangs!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

srgetz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just wanted to share my pics from vacation a few months back in La Romana Dominican Republic. We snorkeled at Catalina Island along a rocky reef in a shallow cove. I was amazed by the variety of fish including different angels, tangs and butterflyfish. Just before we had to leave, I encountered a school of Atlantic blue tangs, this was definately the highlight of the entire vacation! I only wish I had a better camera than this disposable.

That first picture is a different looking kinda fish! I wonder where I could get one, what size tank it'd need, and whether it plays nice with the other fishies. :roll:

Thanks for sharing the pics! I went to the DR 4 years ago and didn't know anything about snorkeling. Took four years later on a trip to Cancun to try it.

How'dja like the DR? Maybe I didn't do a good resort, but I probably wouldn't return.

Great pics from what looks like a great trip. How was the weather and was there signs of storm damage from the huricanes?

When I came back from FL last month, there were a bunch of people on the plane that were coming back from Domican Republic after being through Hurricane Jean.

They had some not so pretty stories.

Nice pics though!

How was the weather and was there signs of storm damage from the huricanes?

It was fairly hot, mostly in the 90s. No sign of storm damage, it was 2nd week of August! Charley brushed by us a few hundred miles south of the Island, had a little wind and rain one day, so no real problems. I think they got hard hit on one of the following storms, the one that really hit Haiti hard and caused the mudslides and deaths.

How'dja like the DR?

Very nice, relaxing time. definitely not the place to go for nightlife, though. I will probably not return as I would like to see other places. But it is definitely one of the best values in the Caribbean. We did 7 nights stay at Hilton LaRomana with airfare and all meals, drinks (yes, including alcohol) and watersports included for $850pp. Try doing that in Bermuda or Jamaica!

srgetz, if you like snorkeling, you should try diving. Opens up a whole new world. :D

That was my first time really snorkeling, so I guess I'm taking baby steps here working toward diving! I have to admit though, I have always been terrified of sharks. But this time around I forced myself to get in the water since her and I wanted to see some of the fish we have become so familiar with with the aquarium hobby. I don't know if I'll ever go really deep, but I think shallow reef dives are feasable.

The bonus for us was that the resort had a shallow man-made reef about 75 yds out from the beach. Lots of tangs and butterflies and even puffers were right there and had little fear of us. What are some other good snorkel / dive locations?

Yea, I saw that when you posted them originally...that's why I was scared in there! LOL, really it wasn't too bad once I got in and saw the beauty below.

Good reports! How deep are the dives in that area?

The reefs start at about 25ft. The deepest dive we did was this past summer to 140ft. The reefs go much deeper than this, way beyond recreational limits.

Back
Top Bottom