I have a new 46 gal
cycling at the moment. It had 30 lbs of uncured LR
in there for a couple weeks and once the ammonia levels diminished I ordered another 45 lbs of cured LR
. The rock came in this morning and I added it right away. It was a nice deep purple fiji rock and looked great.
However by the end of the day I could see what can only be described as "snow caps" covering large areas of most of the rock. It wipes away easily enough revealing the coraline underneath, but is back in a matter of hours.
I have 4x39w T-5 lighting (2 white, 2 actinic), which was on for about 6 hrs today while I arranged the rock and did other maintenance.
The tank is currently in it's nitrite peak. Temp, pH and sg
are all normal.
Is the white slime some kind of fungus, or just excessive bacterial growth?