Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-28-2003, 06:33 PM   #11
steve-s

Good to hear the levels are in check for alk & Ca but if you are going to use suppliments like this, you should have the proper test kits on hand to check them yourself prior to each addition. This will ensure you do not have a future precip problem. The levels being fine now does not truely mean it did not happen though.

ph tested by the LFS is pointless. Once removed from the tank, the reading will be skewed if the sample is transported. I would try to determine if it's not your test kit that is the problem or the water movement before you try fixing it chemically. Remove two samples from the tank and only test one right away. Leave the other uncovered and test it 1 hour later and compare the results. If the older sample has a better ph, you still have a gas exchange problem. Keep in mind that the surface area of the sump is usually smaller footprint than that of the main tank so you still sacrifice good O2/CO2 exchange by using a glass lid. The skimmer does not contribute too much on the whole.

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-28-2003, 10:18 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Steve,

Thanks, I'll give it a try tomorrow to see how gas exchange is doing. I'll try it mid-day, since that's when I usually test. If I need additional surface to do gas exchange I've been thinking of a hang on refugium anyway.

In terms of transport affecting PH, the LFS is about 2 miles from the house, perhaps 5 minutes, 10 on a really bad day.

I have a test kit, but it doesn't include Calcium, which is really pretty expensive.

David

Old 12-28-2003, 10:58 PM   #13
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveNandi
In terms of transport affecting PH, the LFS is about 2 miles from the house, perhaps 5 minutes, 10 on a really bad day.
That will still be enough to skew the results. Best tested at home immediately after removing form the tank to be accurate.

Quote:
I have a test kit, but it doesn't include Calcium, which is really pretty expensive.
I would not recommend the continues additions unless you have the ability to test the levels. If you do continue without testing, there will be further problems. Not trying to banter you, just fair warning

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-31-2003, 06:53 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

I tested water straight from the tank and after an hour on the counter. No difference, so I gues I'm getting reasonable gas exchange. Still thinking about adding a refugium to increase gas exchange. LFS doesn't carry CPR Aquafuge but they're looking into it for me.

I stopped adding buffer for now. I'll see what happens to the PH.

We added a filter and for a while that made things better. Then, it got worse again. We believe the problem is being caused by microbubles and plan to replumb the return line to fix it. At the same time we'll plumb in a UV sterilizer, which we can use as we need it, and get rid of the ball valves that I think are where the air is getting in the return.
Old 12-31-2003, 09:09 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Can I suggest the particles are from the jawfish rearranging his new home?
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 09:44 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

We replumbed and added the UV sterilizer (although we haven't turned it on yet) and that took care of the problem. Overnight we went from snowglobe to a few floating particles.

We'd like to thank everyone for their help and advice on this very agravating problem.

David and Andrea

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com