Snowflake clown hasn't eaten in a week

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikeaq

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought a sebae anemone right out of the supplier bag for them. When I got home it was 5x bigger than I thought it would be and ended up being way too big for my 36 gal.

I decided to give it a go, my pair of clowns were hosting it.

After about two weeks, the sebae ate my Yasha goby, I watched it get stung as it swam too close.

I decided to get rid of the sebae for a smaller bubbletip anemone.

Ever since I got rid of the sebae the snowflake hasn't been interested in food, but the other clown is perfectly fine.

The snowflake is breathing very rapidly but besides that and not having any interest in food, it's behavior is normal.

It's been about a week since I've seen it eat.

Anyone have an idea of what's going on? Is it depressed because it's anemone is gone? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419223958.326888.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Clowns generally don't care about anemones. I would look at other things first, most importantly the parameters.

It sounds like your clownfish is showing signs of being sick, maybe ich we'll see. But, it is highly doubtful that it is from the loss of the anemone. I'm with everyone else when it comes to wanting to know the parameters because it sounds more like this isn't the only sick fish in the tank...a healthy goby being stung and consumed is unlikely. Not so much that that isn't an aggressive anemone, but that they can't actively hunt. A healthy fish wouldn't tread so close and be able to get away from a slow moving anemone tentacle.

It sounds like your clownfish is showing signs of being sick, maybe ich we'll see. But, it is highly doubtful that it is from the loss of the anemone. I'm with everyone else when it comes to wanting to know the parameters because it sounds more like this isn't the only sick fish in the tank...a healthy goby being stung and consumed is unlikely. Not so much that that isn't an aggressive anemone, but that they can't actively hunt. A healthy fish wouldn't tread so close and be able to get away from a slow moving anemone tentacle.

The goby was weak, I'm guessing it was trapped between rocks after I rearranged the rock work.

The clown is the only fish that is acting this way. Every other fish is fine. No signs of ich.

Params:
Nitrates: <10
Nitrites: 0
Ammonia: 0
Ph: 8.2

15% water changes done weekly

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Really weird since clowns are big eaters....what have you tried feeding?

90 gal reef; 29gal bio cube

Back
Top Bottom