Snowflake eel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bdisalvo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

I just added a juvenile snowflake eel to my tank. I have plenty of rock and caves in my tank. As soon as I added him he buried in the sand and now I can't find him. I know they are good escape artist but the lid is on tight. Is this normal behavior??

Yes it is normal for eels to barry them selves. My eel is all ways hiding and only comes put to eat. You should try to find him to make sure he is still in your tank, I have lost three eels from getting out. They are hard to feed when introduced to a new tank so you might want to find him to feed him.

I just bought him this morning and as soon as I put him in he went straight under a rock and buried himself in the sand. I figured it was normal but not sure since its a new environment.

Don't worry it is perfectly normal every eel I have owned has done that,it will take him a while to get used to the new environment.

I just got myself a snowflake today! Cool critters. But what was stated above is correct. They stay buried. Mine has himself a nice spot in some rubble. Just make sure your tank has a well secured lid. I was laughing pretty hard when I bought it. They couldn't catch it. Kept jumping from tank to tank to avoid them.

How big is the tank? If it's in the 70 gallon range some dither fish might encourage the eel to come out.

It's a 40 gallon. I he came out last night when the lights turned off but has been buried all morning

Mine eats frozen shrimp scallops and fish. I have never had a problem with eels eating any tank mates including fish snails or crabs knock on wood. As long as you feed your eel so isn't so hungry he goes hunting for food he should leave his tank mates alone.

He has finally popped out a little, I think he looks pretty neat. Hopefully he doesn't mess with any other fish but they are all bigger than he is.

Hey, I have a 12" snowflake and it is quite active. Every other day when I feed the fish it goes nuts, it's hungry. Everything I read says to feed it every 3 days or twice a week. Should I feed it when it is obviously hungry? So far it hasn't tried to eat any tankmates but it looks tempted!!

Back
Top Bottom