Snowflake Eel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Breakthecycle2

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What's the consensus on keeping them? I have a forty gallon with fish as of now, 2" +. Can you keep them safely in reef aquariums? The tank I was thinking of is a 40 gallon.

40 gallons is too small for one of these fully grown IMO. Plus if it's a true reef you will have a tough time keeping nitrates low in a 40.
That being said, thus far mine has not bothered my clownfish or cardinal at all. I believe he ate all of my emerald crabs.

Loved mine, then one fine day I found all my cromies half eaten and floating in the tank... he had a real taste for them :)
My lfs told me n ow that he had a taste for live fish, he would eventually eat em all!! Had to take him in

Snowflake eels have round teeth designed for eating crustaceans but they can develop a taste for fish. A 55 gallon tank is considered the minimum size by some people.

I had one for a little while. IMO once the novelty wears off, they're kind of boring. They look cool while swimming but most of the time they hide under your rock work with just their heads out waiting for food. They have horrible sight and a great sense of smell, so they will eat anything that moves near them. Mine was in my 55 when I first started. He was always shaking to burrow out caves in the sand which would be all over rocks and corals. Then one day I was feeding him in front of my son and he ate nemo. Bad Times!! I would say either reef tank or predator tank.

^^^^^ oh and that's if you can keep them in the tank. They are jumpers.

Back
Top Bottom