Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-21-2013, 11:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holygral View Post
You ask if anyone had issues with them eating fish, I did, I posted, like I said good luck
I know they will eat smaller fish, thats why i stated in the WILD. In a aquarium the fish has no where to run.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:41 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

I had one for years never ate a fish, they don't eat snails or crabs. Bought one about 2 months ago wouldn't eat anything till I got him silverside. No shrimp, oyster or lance. There tank raised on silverside. I prefer to hand feed than throwing it on the bottom. Better than a snake they will swim in your hand and use it to help swallow the food. Lid is a must my first one jump out but still survived till I gave it away. I have fish, shrimp and cuc. I feed mine one ss every couple of days.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:52 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

With regards to them not eating crabs I've seen videos on YouTube of them eating crabs FYI. Also saw on tanked a bloke who had an eel eating every fish he put in his tank, it's said once they eat fish once they will keep eating them but. Agree with every fish is different though as also seen videos on YouTube of lions and clowns in same tank
Old 12-22-2013, 09:30 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody390 View Post
With regards to them not eating crabs I've seen videos on YouTube of them eating crabs FYI. Also saw on tanked a bloke who had an eel eating every fish he put in his tank, it's said once they eat fish once they will keep eating them but. Agree with every fish is different though as also seen videos on YouTube of lions and clowns in same tank

I saw the episode of tanked you're talking about and the fish that were getting eaten were damsels.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a very docile zebra eel that doesn't mess with fish at all. Or so I thought. I was transferring fish to another tank and my spotted grouper hid in his area. The eel started going right at it to eat it. Luckily I got the net in the way in time. They are a fish of opportunity, so don't be surprised if it will eat whatever will fit in it's mouth. Even if you don't think it will fit, they'll try. My eel is about 24" an the grouper is 5" but very thick. It would've done some damage even if it couldn't swallow it. Just throwing that out there, as others have said, each fish is different but when the opportunity strikes, they are predators.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airgoose2222 View Post
I have a very docile zebra eel that doesn't mess with fish at all. Or so I thought. I was transferring fish to another tank and my spotted grouper hid in his area. The eel started going right at it to eat it. Luckily I got the net in the way in time. They are a fish of opportunity, so don't be surprised if it will eat whatever will fit in it's mouth. Even if you don't think it will fit, they'll try. My eel is about 24" an the grouper is 5" but very thick. It would've done some damage even if it couldn't swallow it. Just throwing that out there, as others have said, each fish is different but when the opportunity strikes, they are predators.

What size tank did you have? And how long did you have the fish together? My eel seems very docile also, like I said he lives with a pseudo (which you know is a very slender fish) and allows me to hand feed him pieces of krill. I guess it will be up to the eel if he decides to attack anybody.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:22 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothmullet View Post
I had one for years never ate a fish, they don't eat snails or crabs. Bought one about 2 months ago wouldn't eat anything till I got him silverside. No shrimp, oyster or lance. There tank raised on silverside. I prefer to hand feed than throwing it on the bottom. Better than a snake they will swim in your hand and use it to help swallow the food. Lid is a must my first one jump out but still survived till I gave it away. I have fish, shrimp and cuc. I feed mine one ss every couple of days.

Thank you for your reply, how big is your tank? What other fish do you have?
Old 12-22-2013, 01:53 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

They're in a 150 gallon tank. I was transferring them to a larger one when this occurred. It really just depends on their mood I suppose. They've been together for a number of months and nothing. But who knows what they'll do other than what people say have happened to them because it is a gamble with smaller fish and having an eel or any predator.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:13 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Same here. Great for a big fish only tank. I suggest a engineer goby for the reef. When they are full grown I think they are every bit as cool as a snowflake.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Same here. Great for a big fish only tank. I suggest a engineer goby for the reef. When they are full grown I think they are every bit as cool as a snowflake.
+1, i wanted a snowflake moray for my 60 but then saw gregs goby and changed my mind, they look like eels and get to 1' but arent agressive and dont eat fish and invertabtates.

Tags
eel, flake, snowflake, snowflake eel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com