Snowflake eel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll be upgrading to a 75g hopefully this weekend, and next year I plan on upgrading to at least a 125! :)

Hi Rpbustillo

I enjoyed my Snow for about 6 months in our 75g. Bow front. The first month was a treat.... Snowy didnt eat much, but was a sand digger, clearing under my rocks. I could observe him under the tank through the glass. They seem to be diggers, it was ok, til the rocks started settling, which caused my corals to fall and then some snails started disappearing. Then.. then worse happened. I lost my Hawaiian Red Reef Lobster... I cried. But I endured... After that, I could hand feed him, he loved a product called Reef Frenzy from NC ( Good Stuff ). I loved feeding him, but when I noticed him nipping at my Coral Beauty and my two mated clowns.. I said... Snowy needed a new home.

Thats the hard part!! Catching the little buger...lol:whistle: I had to remove one side of the tank rocks and put a divider in to trap him on the sand only side. Once I did this, HE WAS FAST!!!!.... Used two nets and still managed to escape and snaked across the floor and behind the tank... OMG. But then he submitted to me.

At my local fish store, Salt water only place. The owner was very patience and he took him for trade. Snowy was now 23" long and bigger than a man's thumb round. Snowy found a home in a 200g tank, with large fish and rock. Today he is big.... 30" and 3" in diameter..

My advise..... Get them small.. 6" or less and the 100g tank with rock only.

Thanks for letting me share, I'm Chase and I'm a Salt-a-holic....

That's a moray....sorry for the pun.

You might investigate engineer gobies. They grow to about 12" and are every bit as beautiful as the snow flake is. With the added advantage he doesn't eat all the other fish. They are the ultimate digger, so be sure your rocks are sitting on the bottom.

I also have an engineer goby and he is awesome and I got my father in law one also. They are both about 8" now and very neat fish. Though my father in laws didn't take to the sand for the first few months. He swam around with all the other fish.

That's a moray....sorry for the pun.

You might investigate engineer gobies. They grow to about 12" and are every bit as beautiful as the snow flake is. With the added advantage he doesn't eat all the other fish. They are the ultimate digger, so be sure your rocks are sitting on the bottom.

Hey Gregcoyote,

A Moray... Yes.... I had NO idea they could get so big... I'm going to research the engineer Goby..... Do you know the price on them? My LPS gets great stock, and seems to find the hard to find

Thanks Chase Beach:cool:

I have had my snowflake for about a week now, 2nd night in the tank he decided to snack on a clown that was about 1 in half smallest fish by far. no invert loses i been feeding silversides and a mix of mysis shrimp. Seems to be very calm till feeding time. I love him, to be honest if he was turns into a probelm i think i would rather rehome my other fish !

clowns are finger foods for them, and as they bigger so will all your other fish, it doesn't matter how much you feed them, they are predatory night hunters

Yes, it's pretty hard, maybe impossible, to get a moray to not like a live food snack now and again. That's what they were designed for. I still deeply love them as they are so cool. I remember the first one I saw in the movie The Deep. Scared me to death, then I started diving, photographing and even feeding the little suckers (something that is generally not recommended). I dove the wreck of the Rhone off of Salt Island where The Deep was filmed and fed morays that lived under the wreck like in the movie at night. You gain a lot of respect for these guys when you enter their world.

Back
Top Bottom