Snowflake eel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rpbustillo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is there anybody keeping a snowflake eel in their reef? Do you have any problems with them eating fish?

Is there anybody keeping a snowflake eel in their reef? Do you have any problems with them eating fish?

Make no mistake at some point in time the will eat your fish, if they are too big the will inflect major wounds. And all snails, crabs ect., will be instant lunch, speak from experience

For the most part they are reef safe unless you have inverts or very small fish. Their natural food source are inverts so they will gleefully chomp down on a clean up crew. Aside from that I wouldn't expect them to attack anything but very small fish unless they are hungry.

For the most part they are reef safe unless you have inverts or very small fish. Their natural food source are inverts so they will gleefully chomp down on a clean up crew. Aside from that I wouldn't expect them to attack anything but very small fish unless they are hungry.

Soo disagree with this statement, had a smallish 4 month old well fed snowflake the killed and ate 2 med size clowns years ago in a 75, you can not feed them enough to wake up in the morning and know that your fish will be there or be unharmed in the morning. Only suited for a predetermined tank with very large specimens.

Soo disagree with this statement, had a smallish 4 month old well fed snowflake the killed and ate 2 med size clowns years ago in a 75, you can not feed them enough to wake up in the morning and know that your fish will be there or be unharmed in the morning. Only suited for a predetermined tank with very large specimens.

The tank he is in now has a mix of red leg hermits and various snails, from what I can tell they are all accounted for. On the tank is also a smallish dwarf fuzzy lionfish and a strawberry pseudo that has been in the tank 3 months unharmed.

The tank he is in now has a mix of red leg hermits and various snails, from what I can tell they are all accounted for. On the tank is also a smallish dwarf fuzzy lionfish and a strawberry pseudo that has been in the tank 3 months unharmed.

You ask for opinions I posted mine from experience, I prefer to tell people what they need to hear not what they want to hear, think about it, what do you feed him, silversides, aka know as fish, you are feeding him what he swims with, good luck

I wasn't looking for a single opinion, and I was just telling you about the tank he is in now and if you know anything about fish every individual fish have different personalities some fish are better "behaved" than others. I was not arguing with you about your experience with them.

What size is the tank? I hope this isnt the 45g you have that thread on, that would be sad... They will eat invertabrates as they are to slow to catch fast swimming fish in the wild.

No the eel is in a 55, the 45 is soon to be a 75. And I was asking for future knowledge after my next upgrade to a tank of at least 150 gallons.

I had one for years never ate a fish, they don't eat snails or crabs. Bought one about 2 months ago wouldn't eat anything till I got him silverside. No shrimp, oyster or lance. There tank raised on silverside. I prefer to hand feed than throwing it on the bottom. Better than a snake they will swim in your hand and use it to help swallow the food. Lid is a must my first one jump out but still survived till I gave it away. I have fish, shrimp and cuc. I feed mine one ss every couple of days.

With regards to them not eating crabs I've seen videos on YouTube of them eating crabs FYI. Also saw on tanked a bloke who had an eel eating every fish he put in his tank, it's said once they eat fish once they will keep eating them but. Agree with every fish is different though as also seen videos on YouTube of lions and clowns in same tank

With regards to them not eating crabs I've seen videos on YouTube of them eating crabs FYI. Also saw on tanked a bloke who had an eel eating every fish he put in his tank, it's said once they eat fish once they will keep eating them but. Agree with every fish is different though as also seen videos on YouTube of lions and clowns in same tank

I saw the episode of tanked you're talking about and the fish that were getting eaten were damsels.

I have a very docile zebra eel that doesn't mess with fish at all. Or so I thought. I was transferring fish to another tank and my spotted grouper hid in his area. The eel started going right at it to eat it. Luckily I got the net in the way in time. They are a fish of opportunity, so don't be surprised if it will eat whatever will fit in it's mouth. Even if you don't think it will fit, they'll try. My eel is about 24" an the grouper is 5" but very thick. It would've done some damage even if it couldn't swallow it. Just throwing that out there, as others have said, each fish is different but when the opportunity strikes, they are predators.

I have a very docile zebra eel that doesn't mess with fish at all. Or so I thought. I was transferring fish to another tank and my spotted grouper hid in his area. The eel started going right at it to eat it. Luckily I got the net in the way in time. They are a fish of opportunity, so don't be surprised if it will eat whatever will fit in it's mouth. Even if you don't think it will fit, they'll try. My eel is about 24" an the grouper is 5" but very thick. It would've done some damage even if it couldn't swallow it. Just throwing that out there, as others have said, each fish is different but when the opportunity strikes, they are predators.

What size tank did you have? And how long did you have the fish together? My eel seems very docile also, like I said he lives with a pseudo (which you know is a very slender fish) and allows me to hand feed him pieces of krill. I guess it will be up to the eel if he decides to attack anybody.

I had one for years never ate a fish, they don't eat snails or crabs. Bought one about 2 months ago wouldn't eat anything till I got him silverside. No shrimp, oyster or lance. There tank raised on silverside. I prefer to hand feed than throwing it on the bottom. Better than a snake they will swim in your hand and use it to help swallow the food. Lid is a must my first one jump out but still survived till I gave it away. I have fish, shrimp and cuc. I feed mine one ss every couple of days.

Thank you for your reply, how big is your tank? What other fish do you have?

They're in a 150 gallon tank. I was transferring them to a larger one when this occurred. It really just depends on their mood I suppose. They've been together for a number of months and nothing. But who knows what they'll do other than what people say have happened to them because it is a gamble with smaller fish and having an eel or any predator.

Same here. Great for a big fish only tank. I suggest a engineer goby for the reef. When they are full grown I think they are every bit as cool as a snowflake.

Same here. Great for a big fish only tank. I suggest a engineer goby for the reef. When they are full grown I think they are every bit as cool as a snowflake.

+1, i wanted a snowflake moray for my 60 but then saw gregs goby and changed my mind, they look like eels and get to 1' but arent agressive and dont eat fish and invertabtates.

Back
Top Bottom