Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-21-2013, 08:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Snowflake eel

Is there anybody keeping a snowflake eel in their reef? Do you have any problems with them eating fish?

Old 12-21-2013, 09:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpbustillo View Post
Is there anybody keeping a snowflake eel in their reef? Do you have any problems with them eating fish?
Make no mistake at some point in time the will eat your fish, if they are too big the will inflect major wounds. And all snails, crabs ect., will be instant lunch, speak from experience

Old 12-21-2013, 10:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

For the most part they are reef safe unless you have inverts or very small fish. Their natural food source are inverts so they will gleefully chomp down on a clean up crew. Aside from that I wouldn't expect them to attack anything but very small fish unless they are hungry.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
For the most part they are reef safe unless you have inverts or very small fish. Their natural food source are inverts so they will gleefully chomp down on a clean up crew. Aside from that I wouldn't expect them to attack anything but very small fish unless they are hungry.
Soo disagree with this statement, had a smallish 4 month old well fed snowflake the killed and ate 2 med size clowns years ago in a 75, you can not feed them enough to wake up in the morning and know that your fish will be there or be unharmed in the morning. Only suited for a predetermined tank with very large specimens.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holygral View Post
Soo disagree with this statement, had a smallish 4 month old well fed snowflake the killed and ate 2 med size clowns years ago in a 75, you can not feed them enough to wake up in the morning and know that your fish will be there or be unharmed in the morning. Only suited for a predetermined tank with very large specimens.

The tank he is in now has a mix of red leg hermits and various snails, from what I can tell they are all accounted for. On the tank is also a smallish dwarf fuzzy lionfish and a strawberry pseudo that has been in the tank 3 months unharmed.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpbustillo View Post
The tank he is in now has a mix of red leg hermits and various snails, from what I can tell they are all accounted for. On the tank is also a smallish dwarf fuzzy lionfish and a strawberry pseudo that has been in the tank 3 months unharmed.
You ask for opinions I posted mine from experience, I prefer to tell people what they need to hear not what they want to hear, think about it, what do you feed him, silversides, aka know as fish, you are feeding him what he swims with, good luck
Old 12-21-2013, 10:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I wasn't looking for a single opinion, and I was just telling you about the tank he is in now and if you know anything about fish every individual fish have different personalities some fish are better "behaved" than others. I was not arguing with you about your experience with them.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:54 PM   #8

What size is the tank? I hope this isnt the 45g you have that thread on, that would be sad... They will eat invertabrates as they are to slow to catch fast swimming fish in the wild.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:56 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You ask if anyone had issues with them eating fish, I did, I posted, like I said good luck
Old 12-21-2013, 10:56 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No the eel is in a 55, the 45 is soon to be a 75. And I was asking for future knowledge after my next upgrade to a tank of at least 150 gallons.

Tags
eel, flake, snowflake, snowflake eel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com