Snowflake eel and egg crate??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you so much! Very interesting about their sense of smell. Would I have to move my food from the drawer beneath the tank?

I think they only care about frozen foods or fresh foods mines never even showed interest in flake or pellets when I fee the other fish in the tank and I have it sitting outside of the tank. But if you leave a price of shrimp out he will smell it and try and get it.

CleverBs said:
They escape to look for food. So don't leave foo sitting outside of the tank because they can smell food in the air outside the water. My snowflake will sniff food out when I feed other tanks and he tries to get out I get the food and infact he did one day when I was feeding my Oscar squid which is my eels favorite food and he came to the top of the tank after I took the egg crate off and he swam right out of the tank and hit the floor.

Really they don't need I be fed that much give him a few every three days. I feed mine 3 times a week. One day I feed half of a medium shrimp that I cut up for him. 3/4 of a squid ring, then the 3rd will be one of those or fish. He's a snowflake that's about 9" but a 9" snowflake is the size of a pinky they need to be big big not to fit though the creat.

That happened with my snowflake as well. Use to keep a brick on the tank lid. He finally got strong enough to knock the brick off and committed suicide. Only other fish I had that was this strong and jumped was a fresh water arowana.

I love morays, use to shoot lots of pictures of them in the wild. Here is a spotted moray that lived in Hawaii.

Attachments

• image-4113597982.jpg
    image-4113597982.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Good info. So a 14-16in snowflake will be thicker than 1/2 inch egg crate holes?
I have Arowana. So what should I put on my egg crate lid to keep it from being pushed up? Maybe a 4 or 5lb kettlebell? I have a 10-30 kettlebell but I think that would break the egg crate and my fish might get abs when I'm not looking. :D

Maybe some kind of a fastener or clips to hold the egg crate down. Even an adult snowflake can't break egg crate, so if you can keep it in place he can't get out. A big arowana, as you know, is far stronger. I think one of them could bust thru egg crate. That spotted moray I just showed you was about 3' long and I don't think egg crate would have slowed him down much if he decided he had to get out.

Last edited:
Kewl. But he won't be able to fit through the egg crate holes and wiggle out onto the floor if he's big and fat enough.

Ahh.. Would I need this? Haha sorry for all of the questions. The egg crate should hold a 14in eel in right? The 14in eel would be 3/4in thick would you say? The egg crate holes are half an inch so as long as the eel is at least half an inch Weare good right? I thank you so much for staying with me on this!!

Back
Top Bottom