Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-27-2014, 11:49 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swicicki View Post
I think he will be ok with anyone that will not fit in his mouth. His mouth will get big pretty quick.

I would feed him with a stick to try to prevent a frenzy . I had a snowflake and puffer that would battle when eating. Eel wrapping around the puffer and puffer puffing up. "Nice " fish would be in trouble with an agitated hungry eel

It would be awesome if the cleaners cleaned him when he is big.

Every opening must be covered and locked or weighted or he will get out

I want one for my tank too but I know I'm asking for trouble post pics and keep us updated
Ill be building a completely enclosed canopy this weekend so he cant get out, and I just bought one of those eheim grabber tools because I just read quite a few write-ups on their nasty bite, not fun. I plan to keep him on fresh muscles from the seafood deli and jumbo gulf shrimp as well as freeze dried frozen krill.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:51 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex View Post
Ill be building a completely enclosed canopy this weekend so he cant get out, and I just bought one of those eheim grabber tools because I just read quite a few write-ups on their nasty bite, not fun. I plan to keep him on fresh muscles from the seafood deli and jumbo gulf shrimp as well as freeze dried frozen krill.
Come on if your gonna own an eel I feel like you have to get bit by it once lol :p

bribo12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:48 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sounds like a good plan if he will take mussels

Post photos when you can
Old 02-28-2014, 09:29 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

As he gets bigger, he will eat your fish, and they grow fast. Your cuc will be just an appetizer. They are also hard to keep in the tank. They can get out thru a pencil size hole. Good luck with it, they are beautiful.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:50 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

I was looking at some eels in reef on YouTube. Common theme larger fish larger snails and larger hermits.

There were a couple with cleaner shrimp in the video and even one with a coral banded shrimp

I've been planning an eel for a long time and have most of my rock drilled and on a PVC frame. I was thinking about running PVC tunnels under the rock as a premade home to maybe cut down on the digging
Old 02-28-2014, 10:13 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holygral View Post
As he gets bigger, he will eat your fish, and they grow fast. Your cuc will be just an appetizer. They are also hard to keep in the tank. They can get out thru a pencil size hole. Good luck with it, they are beautiful.
Hopefully not, im gonna keep him well fed and on days when I dont feed my fish, which is mon, wed, fri, so maybe tues, and sat, im not sure yet im still trying to gauge when he's ready to eat.

Quote:
Sounds like a good plan if he will take mussels

Post photos when you can
I will, I heard muscles are a great food for em, strong scent and meaty. I sure will post pics bud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post

Come on if your gonna own an eel I feel like you have to get bit by it once lol :p
I never plan to but I do wanna get nipped so I know what to expect lol I was rearranging some rocks around his burrow yesterday and I was scared for my finger tips lol

Quote:
I was looking at some eels in reef on YouTube. Common theme larger fish larger snails and larger hermits.

There were a couple with cleaner shrimp in the video and even one with a coral banded shrimp

I've been planning an eel for a long time and have most of my rock drilled and on a PVC frame. I was thinking about running PVC tunnels under the rock as a premade home to maybe cut down on the digging
Sounds like a better plan then mine, I should've put in some pipes but this was a spur of the moment thing so oh well, he's stopped the digging already, and I plan to keep a larger fish trend as well.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:58 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Post photos when you have a chance
Old 03-02-2014, 12:58 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Post photos when you have a chance
I haven't been able to get good pics he's too fast but I did feed him feeder guppies, oh god he went crazy for them, I tried to get the smallest ones I could maybe 1/2" at the most and at 15/$1 I couldn't beat the value. I know I want to never let him taste fish but I was at my lrs today and asked what they fed and they said he would spit out krill but loved silver sides but I didn't want him getting used to taking down a 2"-3" fish so feeders is what they started him on and that's what im gonna keep him on.

I almost had to brush it against his nose to get him to bite but once he knew that the flickering silver of a tail snagged guppy meant food he ate all 4 I fed him. Hes been in his caves he dug since the day I got him but today he was cruising around the tank so I figured he was comfortable in the tank and was getting hungry. I wont feed him again until I see him cruising around again and sense his digestive trend.

Overall im very happy with my choice guys he's a great addition to my reef and would recommend one to anyone thats thinking about getting one. Hes still a juvenile and thats what I recommend, a less then 12" to start em on a food and get him to only eat what I feed him and nothing else in the tank.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:01 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd be cautious feeding him guppys I don't know if it's the same with eels but freshwater feeder fish aren't good for lions because of low nutrition and can damage the liver
Old 03-02-2014, 12:12 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would be more concerned with keeping his hunting instinct locked up inside. If he eats live fish all live fish will be food.

That said it is fun to watch the behavior

I would try cutting up the silversides for him

Tags
eel, flake, reef, snowflake, snowflake eel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com