Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-27-2014, 12:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Snowflake Eel in My Reef!

so yesterday i went down to my lrs to browse the new fish in stock mainly for my diamond goby and midas blenny and of course it was backordered so i browsed around some more and spotted this juvenile snowflake eel, and i just watched him for a while and i liked his style, he just looked like an active cool fish with a cool attitude, i got to feed him some krill and half a silverside and that was it, i had to thave him!

so when i got home, i let him float for 30min and drip acclimated him for about another 30min on a medium drip, let him slip in the tank and hes so active! in and out of all the rocks exploring and poking his head out of every nook and cranny he could, now that hes in, did i make a good choice in getting en eel for a reef?

the smallest fish i have is my six-line which is almost an adult size and my caramel clowns, but other than that i plan to have bigger fish like tangs and angels in my tank so im not to worried about the others.

what do you guys think?

Old 02-27-2014, 01:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Keep it well fed and you should be ok. They're more crustacivores than piscivores. Any inverts you have will be snacks but fish should do fine

bribo12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

dam that sucks, i have 2 skunk cleaners, 2 pepermints, and 2 coral banded shirmp in my tank!
Old 02-27-2014, 03:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Lol yeah eventually they may become lunch unless the eel learns that they will clean him.
bribo12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:42 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Think it varies from eel to eel, they will eat crustaceans no doubt but usually ok with fish. If it does eat one fish though be ware as I've heard of them getting a taste for it and demolishing everything in a tank. Hope if all goes well for you though very cool fish
Old 02-27-2014, 06:07 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody390 View Post
Think it varies from eel to eel, they will eat crustaceans no doubt but usually ok with fish. If it does eat one fish though be ware as I've heard of them getting a taste for it and demolishing everything in a tank. Hope if all goes well for you though very cool fish
should i keep it fed with clams and raw shrimp then? i was planning on keeping it from tasting fish completely,
Old 02-27-2014, 07:05 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've had a snowflake eel before and he never ate one of my fish. But every eel is different. It did feed him very well. That being said eels are almost blind and he mistook my fish several times for a snack while feeding him. He bit them regularly but they always recovered. They do have some battle scars. A friend of mine has a yellow head eel but that's a different story. He actually hunts the fish.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:07 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I should also mention my eel dug allot of holes and the strength of his body while slithering thru the rocks caused many rocks to tumble or collapse. Forget a permanent aqua scape with these guy in your tank.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:09 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

thats exactly what he did, dug a deep hole under my main rock and it slipped a few inches.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:58 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

I think he will be ok with anyone that will not fit in his mouth. His mouth will get big pretty quick.

I would feed him with a stick to try to prevent a frenzy . I had a snowflake and puffer that would battle when eating. Eel wrapping around the puffer and puffer puffing up. "Nice " fish would be in trouble with an agitated hungry eel

It would be awesome if the cleaners cleaned him when he is big.

Every opening must be covered and locked or weighted or he will get out

I want one for my tank too but I know I'm asking for trouble post pics and keep us updated

Tags
eel, flake, reef, snowflake, snowflake eel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com