snowflake eel questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

btaylor

Aquarium Advice Newbie
the snowflake eels- will they survive in a 30 gallon aquarium? what kind of filtration is needed? are they hardy? is frequent water changes a must, i read that a water change is needed a few days after feeding is that true? i would really like on of these but i know nothing about them can someone help on information? 8O

A 30 gallon is TOO SMALL!! These fish can get over 2 feet long in most aquarium settings. They are a high bioload fish and do not belong in a tank that small.
They also grow quite fast so getting one and planning on an upgrade in the future is not a good idea unless you are upgrading soon. They are also escape artists, invert eaters and consumers of small fish.

Hara said:
A 30 gallon is TOO SMALL!! These fish can get over 2 feet long in most aquarium settings. They are a high bioload fish and do not belong in a tank that small.
They also grow quite fast so getting one and planning on an upgrade in the future is not a good idea unless you are upgrading soon. They are also escape artists, invert eaters and consumers of small fish.

LOL! Dang HARA, with all that, it makes you wonder what kind of nut job would want to keep an eel? :tgv:

Thats True, that particular eel does a killing on your bio load, I first purchased mine at about 6 inches then in 6 month's, it went up to a foot long.

I feed every other day. I change foods every few feedings so they dont get bored.
I feed them shrimp, bay scallops, lancefish, silversides, squid.....

I have a Hawiian Dragon Eel, and I feed him shrimp twice a week. I have tried giving him squid, scallops, and clams as well, but he only likes shrimp. I cant find silverslides at any of my LFS so he hasnt had them yet (Im Not Paying For Overnight Shipping!).

silversides are kind of like a saltwater minnow for want of a better description.
They are packaged frozen and whole.

Back
Top Bottom