Snowflake Moray

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h8z2luze

Aquarium Advice Addict
We got this today I am going to start a 55G Fish Only tank. But he was on special for 11.99 so I grabbed him and set the 10 gallon quarantine tank up for him. ya ya I know its not big enough for him and it doesnt look like a real SW tank but he likes it. We are getting the tank in a couple days so it can start cycling. Oh and he hasnt bothered the 2 damsels that are in there lol weird. Then I will move it over. Anyway here it is.

rcly8j.jpg

rclzz6.jpg

rcm04o.jpg

baby snowflakes are adoreable..I wouldn't expect him to bother the damsels. They usually do not bother fish unless they are exceptionally hungry.

I tried to feed him frozen carnivore cubes and he wouldnt touch them. He tries to go after the damsels sometimes but they are to big I think. I got him from petco and the guy said he will only eat live food. They were feeding him goldfish and I am sure thats not a good thing to feed. Any ideas?

Yes, get cocktail shrimp, frozen or fresh (but raw) and cut into bite size (for him) pieces. Snowflakes like solid chunks of food. If you can find them at the LFS, you can also get silversides and krill that they little ones usually really like.

I tried cocktail shrimp he didnt have anything to do with it. I think hes looking for something that moves. I will try the silversides.

Hmmm...Hara you mentioned that snowflakes generally won't bother fish unless they're hungry. My LFS has a tiny snowflake for sale that I was thinking about getting for my 75g. I was wondering if since it would be growing up with the fish it might get used to them and not be aggressive. Does this sound right? I just don't want to introduce something that's going to cause problems.

I am sure that there are sflakes that have eaten fish. I can only speak from my experience. Mine is huge and has never tried to bother the fish. He is also very well fed. I think if you start with a young one, get it used to being fed regularly by you, they tend to turn lazy and prefer to be fed, than hunt for food.

The only "problem" I have had out of mine when it was in my reef, was his constantly dislodging corals and rock. That was the main reason I set up the eel tank.

Try a feeding stick, put some shrimp or something meaty and stick it in front of it's den. when you are feeding your other fish they will go nuts and come out. Thats when you feed him. Just put it in front of his mouth and he should go for it.

I ended up getting the snowflake and I'm very happy I did. I do think that at some point I will set up an eel tank but only because I want to get a few more. I am totally in love with him! He's so little and cute. =P He's taken very well to feeding from the feeding prong so I'm happy about that. I do have one question though. How much do they need to eat? He's a baby so I've been feeding him every day but I want to make sure I don't overfeed him and vice versa. He's been taking 3 small shrimp every morning quite happily. Is this enough? Do I need to feed him more? I have to say this is the coolest fish I've ever owned...I love this hobby.

Back
Top Bottom