Snowflake moray eel feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccantlin

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just wondering what everyone feeds their snowflakes. I have heard frozen shelled cocktail shrimp work very well, but I'm not sure how nutritious they would be. I am completely against freshwater feeders. I am open to any and all ideas. He is about 8-10 inches

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Mines 12 inches and I hand feed a mixture of krill, frozen raw table shrimp, and de shelled oysters. Occasionally I put a couple ghost shrimp in the tank but normally I hand feed everything I give it just to insure that it's eating and I only feed every other day until it loses interest

Mine ate silversides and just about anything else meaty I waved under his nose.

I feed cocktail shrimp frozen from grocery store now.
He ate prawn and krill(both frozen) when small.
I got mine the size of a pencil a couple years ago and he is now around an inch thick easy and 2 + feet long.
They are the ultimate scavenger/predator combo IMO.
Mine never let a single anything go to waste.

I feed cocktail shrimp frozen from grocery store now.
He ate prawn and krill(both frozen) when small.
I got mine the size of a pencil a couple years ago and he is now around an inch thick easy and 2 + feet long.
They are the ultimate scavenger/predator combo IMO.
Mine never let a single anything go to waste.

What size tank is it in mines a foot and I've had it in a 55 for a little over a year I was told this is a suitable tank size for it full grown but I'm kind of iffy with how big it will get. Then again it's not very active. I'm going to be setting up a 180 in the near future but I'm not sure I want the eel in that big of a tank if I don't have to

I wanted a snowflake eel till I read how big they got , than I heard of story's of them getting out and slithering all over the floor , now that gives me the hebigibies , I stick with my engineer goby :D 14 inches is big enough for me ,
I know it's hard to find saltwater feeders I used to raise my own , It was just time consuming , now I found a place that sells both saltwater shrimp and minnow feeders
I'm planning on ordering 250 shrimp and 125 minnows I just need to get my feeder tank up and running again , I'm placing my order in about 2 weeks maybe I can start breeding them again
if your interested in the link pm me and I'll give it to you
it's best to find a few locals to go in on a order with you to ex-orb the shipping cost

@ Dylan; Mine is in a 4' 120 g.
With only a miniautus grouper.
The moray killed two 2 year old lion fish IMO!
I feed him by feeding stick now as even the mini knows fear,but thinks he is quick.
Many say they are peaceful and fine and I guess they are.
But they have an unmatched appetite IMO(blew the lions away!).
He killed the lions by mistakenly biting them during feeding time!
Not even a mark on either lion after the mouthing,but neither would participate in feedings again(EVER).
I swear by the snowflake(maybe most eels) being a "bite first,ask questions later" type fish due to eyesight.
I honestly hope mine dies before I have to try to catch him!
I caught my 12-18" fish years ago when I had snakeheads and arrowans.
I don't miss that part of fish keeping at all!

@ Dylan; Mine is in a 4' 120 g.
With only a miniautus grouper.
The moray killed two 2 year old lion fish IMO!
I feed him by feeding stick now as even the mini knows fear,but thinks he is quick.
Many say they are peaceful and fine and I guess they are.
But they have an unmatched appetite IMO(blew the lions away!).
He killed the lions by mistakenly biting them during feeding time!
Not even a mark on either lion after the mouthing,but neither would participate in feedings again(EVER).
I swear by the snowflake(maybe most eels) being a "bite first,ask questions later" type fish due to eyesight.
I honestly hope mine dies before I have to try to catch him!
I caught my 12-18" fish years ago when I had snakeheads and arrowans.
I don't miss that part of fish keeping at all!

I've found that I can keep almost anything with mine so long as he's fed and introduced after whatever I put in there currently with a damsel and coral banded shrimp for about a year. If I ad anything while he's in there he thinks I'm feeding him. So your saying I'm going to have to put him in that 180 eventually? Catching wouldn't be a problem as he's pretty social

They don't run around much if they are being fed regularly. Unlike tangs, they can tolerate a pretty small aquarium. As to feeding, your spot on, they are very nearsighted. If you get bit, it was an accident, I had to feed this big boy to get him to pose for the picture one very dark night.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1438990756.193943.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1438990756.193943.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 99
They don't run around much if they are being fed regularly. Unlike tangs, they can tolerate a pretty small aquarium. As to feeding, your spot on, they are very nearsighted. If you get bit, it was an accident, I had to feed this big boy to get him to pose for the picture one very dark night.

Those teeth yikes! My hand wouldn't be near his mouth lol

Caleb

There was an art to it. You had to keep the fish hidden then produce it and let it float in front of their noses. It is heavily frowned upon by dive masters now, but then I was a active dive master and photographer so I took chances with my favorite fish. Never got bitten, but I had a 4' conger eel get in my BC with me looking to pick my pockets. My wife almost swallowed her regulator laughing watching me carefully peeling that eel off me.

Back
Top Bottom