Snowflake or Zebra in my 90g Reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EG617

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
After reading many post and seeing that fellow reefers on AA have had some sucess. Ive finally decided to get either a snowlake or a Zebra eel in my reef tank. Im leaning towards the Zebra eel what do you guys think, zebra or snowflake?

I have a snowflake in mine, and it seems to do quite well; it's been there for probably 2 years now. I'd reccomend a small specimen-- some people say that they are frail and don't do well, but just make sure it eats, and I think it will be fine, mine was/is. Bigger ones knock things over, and the only downside is that there is a high likelyhood that you can't keep any shrimps/crabs (I can't). My grandma has a larger specimen and it doesn't seem to eat her shrimp (lucky!). If you don't mind the possibility of being incapable of keeping crustaceans, and are willing to make sure water quality stays in check (they can be messy), and make sure that your tank is well covered (they WILL carpet surf), then I'd reccomend trying a snowflake. Haven't had a zebra, someone else can give you imput on that :) HTH.

Nikkiheartsfish said:
just make sure it eats

The best way to do this is get the LFS to show you it eats. This will help you to know and you dont take a fish or eel home and it starve to death. I dont take anything home from my LFS unless I see it eat.

melosu58 said:
Nikkiheartsfish said:
just make sure it eats

The best way to do this is get the LFS to show you it eats. This will help you to know and you dont take a fish or eel home and it starve to death. I dont take anything home from my LFS unless I see it eat.

Oops, thought that I made that apparent when I said to make sure it eats. I assume too much! Sorry for any misinfo there-- And absolutely. There is NO reason for a place not to feed a fish. The place I work at is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, in the US. And it gets really busy, but no matter what, if a customer wants to see something eat, I'll do it. There is no reason any place will refuse you that, unless there is something wrong. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom