Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-11-2004, 03:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
So do bristleworms harm clams?

I read somewhere that they will eat clams.
I also read somewhere else that this is a misconception. This person felt the clams were on their way out, and clams go quickly they said, often overnight. This left the aquarist to wake up and find bristleworms scurrying out of the new-empty clam shell, causing the aquarist to believe the worms had eaten the live clam, when it actuality they had eaten the remains.

I've read all over this site that as long as you don't have a certain kind (which I did, when the LR first came in...the bright orange/red one with a blick stripe down its "back) they're excellent sand-stirrers and detritus consumers. So, my question is... are bristleworms really harmful to clams? I'm considering buying some GARF grunge or some LR rubbles and I don't want to introduce bristleworms if they really are harmful to my clam. Thanks all!

125 gallon saltwater: 55gal sump, 4 Blue-Green Chromis, Purple Tang, True Perc, Firefish, Royal Gramma, 5 Ricordea, Bubble Coral, 15 Pulsing Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Deresa clam, Green-Tip Torch Coral (about 11 "heads"!), Orange Montipora Cap, Purple M. Digitata, Green Slimer Acro. Yongei, 3 Orange M. Digitata, Pink&Green Acro. Millepora
dansemacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 04:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
IMO, bristle worms are great! I have several clams as well as some HUGE bristle worms and have never had a problem. I do belive that they get a bad reputation for the reasons you mentioned. When clams are ill they put out a smell as sort of a defense, but it actually attracts animals such as bristle worms and hermit crabs.

jamal-188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 05:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
i have seen them eat my zoo in my tank. he is now liveing in a new home (the sump) i will never have them in the main tank again. if they show there face they get a free trip to the sump.
A 46 gal bow front (Soft coral) reef tank with a 10 gal sump. And a 30 gal (SPS and Clam) reef tank hooked up to the sump of the 46 so they share water.
WarOrks15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 09:35 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Bristleworms get a bad wrap because they are one of the first to show up after a fish, coral, clam is dead/dieing. The common aquarium bristleworm is not a killer but more or less a cleanup machine. They will detect dead/dying flesh and go to it to consume. Often folks will say that they killed their clam because one day the clam "LOOKS" ok and the next day the shell is totally empty and there are a ton of worms around the shell.

There really isnt alot of flesh in the clam since most of its body is inflated with water. When the clam dies off a shall can easily be cleaned out in a night.
Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote

clam, clams

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com