So how bad does it hurt...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

havefun

Aquarium Advice Freak
...to get stung by an anemone or bristle/fire worm?
I have an unkown anemone hitchhiker on my lr. Everything in me wants to touch it "just to see what it feels like" :lol: I doubt I ever will but it's just one of those things - kinda like Flick on "A Christmas Story" sticking his tongue to the flag pole.
I have target fed it and almost all of the tentacles wrap around the food. My luck, instead of getting stung by just one tentacle he would sting me with all of them.
Again, I won't do it, just curious what it feels like - is it like a bee sting?

Attachments

• tentacle.jpg
    tentacle.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 79
  • far.jpg
    far.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 119
That little guy actually has a pretty healthy sting to it. Larger anemones will/can severely sting. Just a quick brush on my ritteri and I have a very large rash for a week or so. Never judge them by size though, big problems can often come in small packages.

This anemone is of no concern though otherwise, there's no reason to remove it. Bartholomea annulata is a harmless anemone and although a member of the same family (as Aiptasia), rare that it will reproduce beyond one or two if that.

Cheers
Steve

my "mystery" anemone
The common name is Curly-Que/Curly-Cue anemone. Be careful, as Steve-S pointed out, they do have a fairly potent sting. The one I had got a hold of a fire shrimp that got too close and consumed it. It was approx. 8" tall (not including the stalk)- they grow quickly IME especially if target fed. FWIW I came in contact w/ mine a few times. I'll say this, I would not be surprised if contact caused a rash and/or some numbness.

If you have ever gone swimming in the ocean you most likely have felt a stinging sensation at one time or another. Usually under the armpit or if just wading along the shore somewhere around the ankle or tops of the feet. This is most likely caused by stray jelly fish tentacles that have broken off. This sensation comes from just one stray JF tentacle.

Now go ahead and touch an anemone and multiply that feeling by ????? I am sure some are worse than others. Probably a lot like a fire ant sting. Then again I am rambleing on about something I know little about. I cant wait to try it though :lol:

One of the problems with anenome stings is that the resulting rash is sensitive for a good few days, making contact with various susbstances unpleasant.

Hey, HaveFun - I TRIPLE DOG DARE YOU to touch it!!!

ROTFLMAO - I was waiting for someone to say that ("A slight breach of etiquette, skipping the Double Dog Dare..."). That has GOT to be my all time favorite movie BTW :lol:

If you have ever gone swimming in the ocean

Well being from Hicktown, Iowa I don't get too many chances.

Not a whole lot of saltwater here :lol: Can people have allergic reactions to anemone and bristle worms like they can to bee stings? I've heard it compared to bee stings but a bee sting for me is far more serious than alot of other people. That and spider bites. There's a fair chance I'll be in the emergency room and it's at least guranteed that I won't be doing much for the week the swelling lasts.

aqh88 said:
Can people have allergic reactions to anemone and bristle worms like they can to bee stings?
Very much so yes. Each persons reaction will be different than the next though. There is also the chance of septic infections if the skin is broken.

Best thing you can do to avoid this is where protective gloves when your hands are in the tank. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

I had one (added LR.com rock in Oct 04) and ignored it for quite along time. Then in May I noticed 2, and in April there was another, etc. Until last month there were 6 and the 2 largest ones were 8" or 9" in diameter.

I hit 'em with Joes Juice 3 weeks ago, one came back and I hit him with Joe's Juice Monday.

They are closely enough (for me anyway) related to Aiptasia that I am treating them as a pest.

Back
Top Bottom