So I finally caught it!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ntswift

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been trying to figure out what was eating everything in my tank. (my brain coral, ricordea, and maybe my snails and clams) I caught my peppermint shrimp picking the heck out of my brain and my ricordea this morning! :evil: Has anyone had any problems with their peppermints doing this to them too?

I never had but nothing is impossible in this hobby. Are you sure he was not just picking at a decayed area. Just scavaging.

That could be very possible. The brain for sure has some because its receiding from the bottom up. There are little holes the size of bb's in the top of it that is starting to spread out too.

Peppermints will pick at soft corals ... I think it is time to evect this little booger :)

Are you sure its a peppermint shrimp? They look very similar to a camel shrimp and are often mis-labeled at the LFS. Camels do have a history of being coral munchers.

Yeah I'm sure its a peppermint shrimp. The place that I got this guy from is a privately owned store and the guy has been in the hobby for over 40 years. Also I did check them out on liveaquaria to see if they were known for eating corals or if they were trouble makers at all. Thanks for the tip though!

HHMMM. My two peppermints are very well behaved. I have a nice xenia and other varius softies and have never had them nibble.
Sorry to hear you're having troubles, though. Just toss something in there that will eat the peps and you can witness the whole foodchain.

LOL....Well what ever eats the peppermint I'm sure will eat my other two cleaner shrimp. I'd rather not loose them. :) Thanks for the suggestion though!

Back
Top Bottom