So I got my GRUNGE today....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seepu

Aquarium Advice Freak
I read several people's posts about getting their grunge, all the cool stuff they found, little bit of this, little bit of that...

I was disapointed. My tank is muddy, no chunks of anything bigger than 1/2 inch, and the only thing that is reminiscent of anything living has been a few fragments of something that molted, and one shell of a bivalve.

Mind you, its only been in there a few hours, and am finally starting to see my LR again, but I have been sitting in front of the tank with a flashlight looking at this stuff they sent.

I am sure its healthy and wonderful for my tank, and no telling what will pop out of it in a few weeks/months ect ect. It's just not very fun right now. :cry:

Sigh... back to looking at my mud.

Attachments

• garfgrunge.jpg
    garfgrunge.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 231
  • garf.jpg
    garf.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 194
Ok.. I feel better. I can see my rocks again, and the muddy water has turned into a haze that will clear up in a few days.

Still no life, but PATIENCE is the name of this game. :p

looks like you got the medium sized grunge?
I got the plus and it was more shells then anything..
And yes, it made the water crazy cloudy but I'm moving bout a 1000gph now, so it cleared up in a little while.
I actually prefer the size chunks you got.. My tank bottom looks like a shell bomb went off (which I kinda like...looks 'natural' to me).
If I had it to do over again I'd get equal parts regular and plus and mix them well in some tank water in a bucket to distribute the 'chunks' a little better..

And yes, trust me...I know the patience thing as well...
It's almost like having Christmas presents under the tree in July..

It was the first time I ordered from GARF, and all I was asked was how much. I didnt know to ask for specific sizes. I am getting happier with it. I like the color, kind of purpley like coraline.

I might call them and ask what kind of substrate is its exactly, because it sure looks ALOT like a buffering substrate for low pH I used in my discus/planted show tank. I can't imagine it is tho.

Yeah their 'customer service' is somewhat lacking.. of course she might have been asleep when I called heh.
Their website is kinda odd in that parts of it got modernized I guess.
I was lucky to run upon a Grunge+ slideshow, that's why I asked the girl to explain it better..
I'll take a picture of the bottom of my tank when I get home to show what I mean bout the 'shell bomb'.

i got a grunge shipment a few weeks ago. i also go the medium sized grunge and the only unhappy thing for me was the chunks of rock, HOWEVER i cleverly converted an old HOB filter to a mini fuge minus the macros. i waited for the cloud to clear up for a day or so and then manually picked most of the larger chunks out and placed them in my HOB with no filtering devices, now its a refuge for my pods :) i put a few snails in there once in a while and they eat.

what type of free coral did you get for ordering? and you should see results in about a week, i have noticed green and pink coraline growing on my base rock. hth

I didn't get any coral, and the chunks of "rubble" I got was, MAYBE 6 pieces no bigger than 1/2 in. I think I got the bottom of that barrel.

What is this stuff you guys are talking about? I have never heard of it. TIA..Oh and where can you get it?

Can anyone compare the amount of life forms present in Garf Grunge vs. other detrivore kits e.g IPSF or Inland Aquatics?

I've heard so many opinions on Garf Grunge, both good and bad that it seems their quality control is lacking and buying it is hit or miss.

Here's the 'shell bomb'
It's at the very back of my tank (two sided) so I havnt taken the time to move it around, this is just what happened with a 1/2 cup scoop used to dump it in the tank (and trust me, there's plenty more like this all over)
This is of the GARF grunge plus stuff..

Pic wont attach...

I would have been happy with a scoop or two of that, (I might have gotten something alive), but I don't think I would have wanted a whole 7 lbs of it.

Ahhh that's the highest concentration of it, cause I can't reach it heh in other areas of the tank it's a bit more spread out properly (am hoping my critters move some of that area about for me).
Took a pic of that specific spot to show the variety of sizes the plus gave me..

I see lots of tube worms and some microstars from time to time..
Of course, with all the LR in the tank, who knows where they came from eh..
The hermits do appreciate all the spare shells tho..

Grunge is basically live subtrate/rock chunks/shells etc from a long time established tank that's sold from www.garf.org

"....lots of tube worms and some microstars...."

Can't we just buy these things in quantity w/o having to get all that superfluous stuff like the rubble, sand and shells?

Spin

Feron said:
I see lots of tube worms and some microstars from time to time..
Of course, with all the LR in the tank, who knows where they came from eh..
The hermits do appreciate all the spare shells tho..

Grunge is basically live subtrate/rock chunks/shells etc from a long time established tank that's sold from www.garf.org

thanks for the info

Back
Top Bottom