So I scrubbed my LR today and was wondering....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryguy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I scrubbed all the dark blackish stuff off which came off pretty easy and muddied up the water in the tub pretty quickly, but I didn't know how much more I should keep scrubbin'. I gave each rock a once over and concentrated on the black patches, but found that the white stuff never came off and looked the same after scrubbing. I presume its mostly calcified? Is that correct?

secondly, I have lots of nice coloured (lime greenish) coraline with white spots on it. I didn't want to scrub off the coraline so I just gave it a quick and light brushing. then there are what I think are sponges, but it was very hard, it has turned white from its original green colour, but i can't scrub it off....it needs to be chipped off.....should i just leave it on?

Most of the rocks were almost without smell, but some of the bigger ones had some definite funk to them and I think there's lots rotting in the little holes and caverns that I can't get into.... am I fine just to leave it all as I've done?

Thanks,
Ryan

I never scrub my LR but I have read it's common to give it a light scrub... so I think you did great... nothing left to do but aquascape :)

If you are cycling they will add to the cycle and hurry it up when there is a little funk to them ;)

Funk might be good, but not in live rock! You may want to cycle this rock for a week in a very dark tub. Check you ammo values at the end of that and see what they're running. That should make sure that anything left inside the rock is not going to affect water quality.

Back
Top Bottom