So I'm thinking of buying a tank from China...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScotJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been looking at ALOT of the tanks at the lfs, and the prices seem a bit steep. And I figured since I already import some stuff for my biz from China, I might as well take a peak. Sure enough, I'm finding 150-200g tanks for < $300! Probably tack on 30-40% by the time its here, but still!

Anything I'm missing here? I posted a few pics of the tanks - very tall looking, which I like, a PITA to clean, but I'm getting that magnet cleaner thing I think.

Attachments

• en_114476441320060411090653.jpg
    en_114476441320060411090653.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 115
  • en_115919618320060925225623.jpg
    en_115919618320060925225623.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 68
I'm thinking of building a tall reef with caves and such so the fish have room to hide. This tank is still 18" deep, and there is another model that is 21" deep; so it should provide enough space for that I think. My current tank is only 18" deep (from front to back), and has lots of room.

another thing to keep in mind with tall tanks (cleaning wise), if you plan on gravel vaccing, you'll either have to get a long siphon tube, or rig one up yourself. for me, it's practically impossible to get to the gravel without something rigid, and the regular length does not cut it.
and decorating wise, it's a pain to have to reach down in there once it's filled, rearrangement and such. but it is a beautiful tank. i have a 37 tall (much smaller) and i'm 5'4", so i have to get up on a chair AND have a tool to get things in there. i didn't think of any of that at whatever impulsive time i bought mine.
sorry that was so long winded.

those are beautiful tanks, i hope you get one and post beautiful pictures.

Will do - at this rate I might get one for my office and condo! Right now I have a long 150g, but I bought it used an it has some permanent stains on the inside of the glass and it just doesn't look nice.

I'm invisioning this gorgeous reef towering up to the top of the tank (so long as I can get large pieces and make it a stable), and a piles of fish (as many as the tank will permit without over crowding).

Deep tanks aren't the greatest for a reef. It's tough to get light penetration down there and get good circulation.

I'd be leary of the quality. 200g of saltwater running loose in my house from a cracked tank would quickly make that "cheap" tank not so cheap. But that's just me...

I'd be leary of the quality. 200g of saltwater running loose in my house from a cracked tank would quickly make that "cheap" tank not so cheap. But that's just me...

I'm not terribly worried- so long as its coming from a legit factory with good references. I went down the LFS and the owner was telling me that 1/2 the tanks in their were from China, but obviously they don't advertise it.

Good point though regarding the light, didn't think of that!

Back
Top Bottom