So its gone, now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ntswift

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So i took my anchor coral back today because it was starting to get the sweeper tenticles that wanted to torture everything in its path. I came home today and noticed my alveopora was all swollen at the only part that the anchor could touch with its sweepers. Anyway i have credit at the store now and he asked me if there was a coral that i wanted and i was told him I was thinking of a montipora digita. Would this be wise or does anyone else have any suggestions. My tank is in my gallery if you need a visual picture! :) It's a 29gal with 130w JBJ PC's, 2 maxi 900's, a remora Aqua C, and a HOB fuge with 46lbs LR and a 3" sandbed. Just to let you know what kind of flow, lighting and anything else you may need to know. its been up and running since November. Thanks for any suggestions!

You're too low on the lighting for montipora. You'd probably need close to another 100 watts of lighting. SPS corals require a lot of light. What you have will sustain SPS for a short while then it'll start to lose it's zooanthellae algae for not being able to replenish it fast enough. Stick with LPS and softies...unless you upgrade the lights.

Keep a sharp eye on that one spot on the alveopora (another that requires super bright illumination). The chemical warfare of coral can be very damaging and 'flowerpots' are difficult as it is. It should be kept in a system with higher lighting.

Polyps, mushrooms, leathers, trees, and colts would be best to start off with...slowly graduating to the harder to keep coral as the tank matures. In 6 months to a year, LPS corals should do well...like candy canes, hammers, frogspawn, bubbles, and brains.

Back
Top Bottom